Leaky multi-port valve

eskewj

Jan 10, 2014
Harrisburg, NC
I’ve had the pool for about 7 years and never had any issues with the multi-port valve. About six months ago, I noticed water coming from the waste pipe while filtering. No problem, I replaced the spider gasket and it was fine again. Fast forward 6 months and it is leaking again out of waste. This time I installed a new top assembly seen here:

And replaced the spider gasket again for good measure. Handle is now much easier to turn. But after a few days it is still leaking out to waste (a sustained trickle) and I’m at a loss as to what to do.

One thing I noticed which I’m not sure is related, is when I have the top assembly mounted to the valve, and the handle is positioned into a notch, it has a lot more “flop” than it did before my first repair six months ago when I replaced the spider gasket. This behavior is true of both the new and old top assemblies - the handles do not spring back up into position even though they appear to be doing the job (at least for awhile). If I remove the top assembly from the valve, the handle seems to pop up in the slotted position like I would expect.

Any thoughts on what’s going on?

From what you describe, it sounds like there is something binding up in the spring for the handle when it is fully assembled. It is possible that there is some sand or other debris in that area, or maybe the handle has a burr amd not allowing the spring to function properly. Another possible thing would be the spring wearing out and losing its expansion or compression strength. It may also be something isnt quite lined up and causing the issue as well. Just thoughts from what i see from my work in maintenance in a factory. I could be totally not even close to what it is but wanted to give suggestions.

What's baffling is that it happens for both the new and old top assemblies after replacing the spider gasket and they don't behave that way when they're not mounted. My only guess is maybe a wrong-sized gasket which is pushing everything higher in comparison to the gasket that was replaced which was worn down. As far as the radius goes, the gasket fits perfectly.

The new top assembly is much smoother. If I put the old top assembly on with the new gasket, it's still hard to turn, but functional. My problem is with either configuration, I still get a trickle out of the waste line. I'm out of ideas for what to do next.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.