Leaks in hot tub - at pump and cartridge filter

I got most of the new pipe installed. I am stuck on this one because I dont want to lose and replace the existing Jandy valve. Is there a way I can make a cut right before the valve and join with new PVC to the pump using an inside connector? I want to replace the old PVC going into the pump with a new high temp union. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3723.jpeg
    IMG_3723.jpeg
    803.6 KB · Views: 7
I ordered one...

On to the next problem. The two Hayward super pumps for the spa jets both leak - one worse than the other. I ordered new salt water gasket/seal kits and figured I would just install like I changed my spa pump last summer. Unfortunately, I cannot get the back off the pump (where the wires connect - the plate). I need to grip the bolt back there so I can remove the impeller and access the shaft (where I am pretty certain the leak comes from). I removed the pump from the housing no problem.

Two screws hold in the back plate on. One came off, the other is rusted shut. I tried everything I could to get if out and failed. Also, the cover itself seems almost fused - even if screw comes out not sure I can remove cover. I thing the leaky salt water has the two pieces pretty much attached. Pump could possibly be 20 years old - pool first used in 2001 and I dont recall replacing spa pumps. Any idea for getting this off would be greatly appreciated. Even if I need to replace motor, I still must get this back plate off to get the other parts of the pump - impeller and shaft. Photos below.

I wonder if I could soak the pump in water to loosen the salt on the back plate.

Attachments

• IMG_3731.jpeg
    IMG_3731.jpeg
    389.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3730.jpeg
    IMG_3730.jpeg
    600.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3729.jpeg
    IMG_3729.jpeg
    712.4 KB · Views: 6
The jandy valves glue to inside and outside. Outside needs a coupling and the valve fits right into it. Then reduce or use as you need it

For the screw you need an impact driver. With these you punch with a hammer amd the force pushes down amd turns the socket at the same time. Often used to remove discs from front brakes syatems on imports. If the head breaks off you would need to drill amd re tap or chase the threads. That is if the pump is worth saving. Soak it in PB blaster before you try anything

I replaced the pump motors. The rust was through and through and although the motors still turned OK, it wasn't going to last much longer. I believe they were from 2000 so over 20 years of life. I needed to cut the metal to get the back covers off (rust made it easy). Then PB Blaster and impact driver to remove the bolts securing the plate to the motor. Got great deal on 2 HP Century pumps for $175/each.

It's all working fine now without leaks. I still need to re-plumb the Jandy valve at the spa pump but old connection is not leaking so no urgency.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.