Leaking water from backwash line

May 16, 2017
Moore
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My filter is leaking a steady stream of water, out the backwash line, but only when it's on recirculate. When I have it on filter, no leak. Any suggestions on what it could be. The spider gasket on the vari-flo valve looks good.

Yes. I was really just looking at the spider gasket though, since that's what it has always been over the years. However, We just got this vari-flo valve a couple years ago, and it's somewhat different from older one, the old one the spider gasket wasn't glued in, so it was visually obvious when it was bad. Maybe it is the spider gasket . But wouldn't it leak on filter too, and not just when it's on recirculate? Is there anything else I should be looking for?

Is there anything else I should be looking for?
Just anything in that area where the spider gasket (or Key Diverter Assy) sits. Seems odd, but something in that area is the culprit allowing water to get misguided.

Will I need to replace the entire thing, or can you replace just the parts?
Depends, but a good question. Not sure if the model I pulled up below is the exact same as yours, but it should serve a a decent example. Key diverter is about $35, then perhaps an O-ring or two and maybe new spring and your about halfway to a new valve ($120). So a tough call depending on what possibilities you see there.

Depends, but a good question. Not sure if the model I pulled up below is the exact same as yours, but it should serve a a decent example. Key diverter is about $35, then perhaps an O-ring or two and maybe new spring and your about halfway to a new valve ($120). So a tough call depending on what possibilities you see there.

Thank you. I'll probably just replace it then.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Okay, another problem. Seems I'm having more than the normal issues this year. Last year we replaced the sand , standpipe, and laterals in our Hayward Filter. More problems this year...
Problem 1) This year I noticed I was getting air , while my automatic vacuum was running. I checked all the hoses and replaced the diaphragm in the vacuum, and I was still getting air. I unhooked vacuum to see, if I was still getting air bubbles from the jets, and I am. Not as much though. It's only visually noticeable while it's on the skimmer line only, when the skimmer and drain lines are both open, there isn't air bubbles. We replaced the o ring on the jandy valve, and everything else looked good, except one of the rings the screws go in broke. Could that be causing air in the suction line?
Problem 2) I'm getting some sand in my pool. It's nothing like when the lateral broke, but it's enough you can see it collecting in the creases of the pool. Is there anything other than the laterals and standpipe that could cause that, besides the underground pipe issue that I'm praying it's not. I see no evidence of an underground leak, but it's under cement . As I said before, my backwash line leaks when the filter is set at recirculate only. We are pulling everything apart today, but I was wanting to address all the issues at once. I don't want to go replacing everything, if just one thing could be causing all the problems.

For your issues:
1) The skimmer line may be in question and trying to inspect it or do a pressure test may be in order. One broke screw would seem unlikely, but I would still try to repair that before the skimmer line.
2) Sand = laterals, connection to standpipe, too much sand in filter, wrong (poor quality) sand sipping through the laterals. As you said, hopefully not related to skimmer suction line.

Reactions: Mishellee

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.