Leaking rock waterfall feature

kennyg

Jul 19, 2008
Hello, Our free-form IGP pool has a spa to pool waterfall feature built of natural stones cemented in place to approximate the look of a river bed. The pool is aging, and the grouting/concrete used to install the rocks are developing hairline cracks that allow the water to flow behind and adjacent to the waterfall feature. We lose about 1" water per day beyond normal evaporation, and I'd like to seal the cracks. Several ideas came to mind (i.e. clear silicone, more grout or calking, drylok masonry sealer, etc.) but wondering if anyone has a pro solution/suggestion. Thanks.

A pic would really help. If possible removing the stones and re laying them is the beat way. Short of that a partial drain and opening of the joints amd a re point is decent. Nothing like a silicone or topical application is going to last long that's a bandaid repair. Leaking water leads to many other issues water is your enemy outside of a pool

Thanks for the replies. I've attached a few photos of the waterfall (not running). I believe the main issue is the cracks developing at the interface between 'wet and dry' as opposed to something behind or under the rocks in the wet areas (although I could be very wrong about this). Reworking the waterfall is not a viable option for various reasons, so a temporary patch is probably next step. Thanks again for your insight. Ken

Attachments

• waterfall.JPG
    waterfall.JPG
    493.5 KB · Views: 33
  • waterfall detail.jpg
    waterfall detail.jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 33
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.