Leaked entire batch of Perlite (DE substitute) into pool

MUPPPP

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2019
Missouri
Hello,

I came home from vacation last night and noticed my pool was cloudy and my pump was putting out only 2 gallons per minute. This usually means my filter needs to be cleaned. I washed the cartridge grids and accidentally put it in backwards. It was dark out and I wasn't paying close enough attention when I was pouring the Perlite slurry into my skimmer basket and before I knew it, I saw cloudy water spewing out of my returns and my entire pool was filled with the entire dose of Perlite.

I opened the filter and turned the cartridge around. I added one more cup of Perlite and watched the return to ensure no more was leaking. I have been running my filter at 3000RPM (getting about 60 GPM) for last 12 hours and it seems to be getting most of the Perlite out. I've been running my robot to get any Perlite that settled to the bottom to try to put it in suspension so it will get filtered in through the skimmers/main drain. Is there anything else I need to do? Do I need to recharge the filter with Perlite again, or assume that the filtered Perlite has coated the grids appropriately?

Thanks in advance!

Is the perlite being trapped in the robot basket or does it shoot out the vents into circulation? If the robot is capturing it in a basket I would brush the pool often to get it into circulation. I hope this works as I'm not "up" on Perlite as I add pool DE to my filter at times.

Are you able to vacuum to waste? Perhaps with a manual vacuum run extremely slowly over the floor of the pool?
Maddie :flower:

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.