Leak?

kenpee

Jul 4, 2021
Florida
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I noticed a loud gurgling sound coming out of my return into my poop with extra bubbles. I then noticed the water line of the pool looked low (and spa high). So I looked at the skimmer and noticed water was pouring into it whereas normally it’s just sitting in there.
F28A26C9-5CDA-494B-83C8-A17EC3D49163.jpeg

I turned off the pump and it refilled. So it seems like it’s more empty when the filter is off than on.
Do I have a leak? It hasn’t rained in 2 days.
3B6FF93D-2BCF-4942-8528-BCC93E183597.jpeg

I turned off the skimmer drain and went 100% main drain, and then started sharing a screeching noise. So I turned the pump off for now.

Coincidentally I’m getting my pool resurfaced in a month since it’s 20 years old so maybe I don’t need to try to address it sooner.

From your photo it looks like the skimmer weir door (the flappy bit between the skimmer and pool) is stuck. Mine used to do that and I'd have the same effect of water appearing to be rushing into it. What's actually happening is that the water flow is restricted so what water makes it through the gap ends up rushing straight down the pipe. Reach in and give the door a wiggle and see if that makes things more normal. Mine got to the point where it was sticking more often than not so I ended up taking the door off and sanding off a couple of mm of plastic on the side where it was sticking.

From your photo it looks like the skimmer weir door (the flappy bit between the skimmer and pool) is stuck. Mine used to do that and I'd have the same effect of water appearing to be rushing into it. What's actually happening is that the water flow is restricted so what water makes it through the gap ends up rushing straight down the pipe. Reach in and give the door a wiggle and see if that makes things more normal. Mine got to the point where it was sticking more often than not so I ended up taking the door off and sanding off a couple of mm of plastic on the side where it was sticking.
That was the problem! Thanks!

Reactions: wwerdna
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.