Leak Paranoia - my first 30 days of pool ownership

Apr 29, 2018
Millstadt, IL
OK Guys - I've been hitting this forum for old threads about once a day for the past month. Finally decided I'd post for some helpful, expert opinions.

In early April, we had our pool installed (see signature for specs). I was immediately surprised at how much water I was losing each day/night...especially given the time of year. Now we've only had this pool installed for a month, so my history is short, but this is a recap:

In the first few days, we were losing more than a quarter inch per night. Sometimes 1/2". Highs were in the 50s, lows were in the 30s. And pretty windy (I live on a hill with almost zero windbreaks). Builder also thought that more than 1/4" was excessive. He did some digging, and found one of the lights wasn't sealed. So he sealed that light, and also added additional sealants around all of the jets/lights coming into the pool. He said he had another pool in very similar conditions (on a hill, no windbreak) also losing 1/4" a night at that point. He did a bucket test, and said it was good. So he made me comfortable we were all set.

From 4/14 to 4/19, my wife and I were on vacation. The temps were swinging that week from low 30's to 60s, and also super windy. We lost 1-3/4" in 5 days...or 3/8" per day in that stretch.

From 4/20 to 4/26, things were calmer and temps were a little more steady. We lost about 1/8" per day.

At this point, I had convinced myself it was all evaporation. So, I bought a solar cover (aren't they supposed to eliminate 95% evaporation?). I put that on on 4/27. And with the solar cover on from 4/27 to 5/1, we still lost 1/8" per day. I noticed in this stretch that it still ALL came overnight. My pump runs during the day from 8am to 6pm and I wouldn't really see any loss during the day. So almost all loss was at night (when the pump wasn't running). But it just boggles my mind that 1/8" (or 80 gallons!) could evaporate from this pool overnight through the borders of the pool where the pool cover doesn't fit tight! No way!

On 5/2, I took the solar cover off, and turned out heat pump on. It's been mid 70s during the day now, and 50s at night. Only been a couple days...but losing 1/8 to 1/4" per day.

Last night I started a bucket test. There was hardly any wind at all. From 7pm to 7am, Pool dropped 1/8" (and water temp dropped from 78 to 73). Bucket dropped 1/16" (water temp from 78 to 70). I guess I figure 1/16" difference is even hard to judge right. And I was shocked at the fog rolling off the top of my pool at 7am this morning.

Anyway - that's my story. I go back and forth between: "This is fine. 1/4" per day is normal. Evaporation is a pain.", to "No way is this normal! I gotta have a leak somewhere in the plumbing! Call the POLICE!".

So tell me people - am I Nuts? Or is my concern totally sound and I should be concerned? Which is it.

Appreciate any and all feedback on this. And I appreciate all the helpful things I've read on this forum so far. I can see myself spending a lot of time here over the next 20 years!

bucket test is the best way to tell

you will always lose some water due to evaporation. But as you stated it should be minimal when the cover is on.
Im pretty sure my pool has a leak but Ive had 2 different people check for leaks and had the pool replastered and had many of the holes plugged and it still leaks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.