Leak isolated to light. Help please.

Jun 9, 2017
Hopwood, pa
My pool has been leaking about an inch per day for the past week. After lots of rule outs (thanks to this site), I have isolated it to the light. I would either try the stopper or butyl tape but…. When I opened the pool my light was working. Now it is note. There is some water in the bulb housing. I’ve had trouble with the light not working and needed to be replaced for the past few years. Could these two things be related? Do I need to replace the light? Or should I try replacing light gasket and the butyl tape?

Could these two things be related?
Pool leak and bulb? ..... no. While the bulb itself should have no water in it, the niche behind it will. It is in that niche where leaks often happens as settling occurs over the years and the PVC conduit line to the back of the niche can develop a crack. You do also have a vinyl liner, so it might be good to inspect all around that area light opening area as well. With some food coloring and a syringe, being calm in the water, you might be able to tell where teh dye gets "sucked-out" - either around the niche opening where the liner is or in teh back of the niche at the conduit.

If the bulb is wet inside, it may already be bad. But you try to let it dry out on the deck for a while, get a new gasket and anything else you need to try before reinstalling. Leaving the light out might also give you time to inspect the niche area well.

full

full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.