Leak is driving me crazy. Can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Chele

Aug 4, 2016
Atlanta
I have an intex metal frame 15' x 48" pool. This is the third year. Last year the pool would leak down to the top of the return circle, so I figured there was a leak in the return seal, although I could never see any water dripping out of it. This year it started going lower than that. When it got down near the outlet, I had to add water obviously. It would leak down very quickly, although, again, I could never see any leaking on the exterior. I decided to rule out the filter, so I shut it off to see how far it would go down. In just a day or two, it leaked down to 2' high level and stopped. Again, I could not see where it was leaking, but that ruled out the outlet and return spots. It stayed at the 2' level for a week and did not get any lower, so I figured there was no leak on the floor, and that the leak was at that level. Couldn't find it. I added an inch of water to do a dye test. Couldn't find it, but the level did not go down! I added 6" of water. Did not go down! Now I am really confused.

Any ideas?

I just replaced mine this year due to a floor level leak. (It was four years old and I messed up liner before finding TFP). What I discovered is that the leak that was on the bottom side sort of sealed itself after it leaked for a while due to being so close to the dirt layer. That may be what’s happening with yours.

I have an intex metal frame 15' x 48" pool. This is the third year. Last year the pool would leak down to the top of the return circle, so I figured there was a leak in the return seal, although I could never see any water dripping out of it. This year it started going lower than that. When it got down near the outlet, I had to add water obviously. It would leak down very quickly, although, again, I could never see any leaking on the exterior. I decided to rule out the filter, so I shut it off to see how far it would go down. In just a day or two, it leaked down to 2' high level and stopped. Again, I could not see where it was leaking, but that ruled out the outlet and return spots. It stayed at the 2' level for a week and did not get any lower, so I figured there was no leak on the floor, and that the leak was at that level. Couldn't find it. I added an inch of water to do a dye test. Couldn't find it, but the level did not go down! I added 6" of water. Did not go down! Now I am really confused.

Any ideas?

do you see any water spots outside the pool? on what surface it stands?

do you see any water spots outside the pool? on what surface it stands?

No, I couldn't tell from the ground as it has been raining quite a bit lately, so I couldn't get any clues from that. It hasn't rained in the last several days, so I filled the pool back above the outlet so I could run the filter. Hopefully it will stay dry enough to get a clue from ground. However, so far today the water level hasn't dropped at all. Go figure. Crazy.

From what you're saying, it sounds like the "inner" seal at the discharge jet might be the culprit. It would leak between the liner and pool wall with no signs of a leak on the outside. Good Luck !!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.