Leak in pool over winter

May 10, 2011
My vinyl IG pool water dropped over the winter. I added water when i noticed the cover dropping in, but it happened again. Long story short I didn't want to keep pouring water into the pool over the winter.
I had the pool covered with plywood and a winter cover to protect it. I have no idea where the leak is but it's low enough where I suspect it's in the deep side.

We haven't removed the plywood structure yet to look at the pool, because everyone keeps telling us we will need a new liner. I didn't want to go through the work and expense to replace the liner this season so we figured we'd skip this year and leave the cover in place.

Fast forward with this heat and we want a pool! It's only 5-6 years old. What are the chances we can patch/save/reuse this liner if we get the hole fixed? I'd like some advice to know if my 5-6year old liner has a chance at being resurrected!

A liner 5-6 years old should be repairable unless something unusual happened to it. But to do so means ensuring the water is clear to see well and repair the suspect area. The exact location of the leak could determine how successful you are, but for the most part many pool owners do a patch. There are also products that will allow you to apply the patch underwater so you don't have to drain. So it seems like you have some options. You just need to ensure the water is clear so you can find the leak and go from there.

Update: We pulled all of the plywood cover off. I then had to remove 2 winter covers and lots of leaves. The liner looked to be in good shape. We cleaned and began to refill with water, since there was only about 2ft left in the deep end.

It was a challenge, but I managed to re-set the liner w/ out any major wrinkles. We began filling and got about 1/2 way before we couldn't get the level any higher.

We had a pool patch diver guy come out today. He was SUPER professional and knowledgeable. He patched about 5-6 holes. We had some additional damage when the winter cover fell in.

Fingers crossed we're filling again. I'll see in the morning if we get higher than were we did the day before.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.