Lawn Sprinklers: Rotary Nozzles

What did you switch them out with? I'm running into the same issue with hot spots on the front and back yard.
Went with Rainbird HE-Vans for the smaller areas and went with Rainbird 5000 rotors in the larger areas.

Recently installed a Rachio controller (on sale at Costco + $80 rebate dropped my net cost to @$90 for it), but might have programmed it incorrectly as a few zones are not getting sufficient water. I have had to manually water zones here and there to prevent hot spots. Will need to tinker with it when I have time.

Last edited:
Went with Rainbird HE-Vans for the smaller areas and went with Rainbird 5000 rotors in the larger areas.
The Rain Bird RVANs seem to do better in larger areas to cover (greater than 15’), but even the 12SA small ones don’t adjust well to short distances. I returned all my RVANs that I could. In RB advertising, they knock the Hunter MP tools—I like them. You’ll need tools for the RVANs usually too and the MP tools really make the throw and range precise and less of a ‘wet’ experience. They’re very intuitive nozzles, I’m ?.

I made the mistake of getting too many MP1000s for all areas, and now purchased more MP800SR (Short Range 6’-12’), which no other rotary nozzle manufacturers sell. I need short throws as the MP1000s really throw water quite far and hit windows and walkways even when adjusted to their lowest throw distance (which is under 12’-oh well). I only get reimbursed for 42 nozzles and I’ll have purchased 50, so it wasn’t as much of a savings as I promised my wife, but I ended up finding a couple big leaks (one that is a reason for major fire ant infestation), so it’s all good. I also replaced all low-bottom-slope valves with check valve Hunter valve bodies. My front lawn is tight, almost not overspray (even in moderate wind) and no more bottom slope leaks at shutoff. Water bill? Let’s see.

I found MP1000s at Lowe’s, for $5.88 (not bad) and was intrigued by the K-Rains too ($5.48).

Recently installed a Rachio controller (on sale at Costco + $80 rebate dropped my net cost to @$90 for it), but might have programmed it incorrectly as a few zones are not getting sufficient water. I have had to manually water zones here and there to prevent hot spots. Will need to tinker with it when I have time.
Woulda considered the Rachio at that price. I’ve had to make adjustments to the BHyve smart control too. It WAY over waters in the rotor setting. I’m happy with my BHyve so far.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.