Ashland Ma
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
We are just opening the pool now as we needed a new pump. Just had a Hayward maxflo vs 500 installed. When the pump was installed the pool was a swamp - very dark green / black in deep end. Pool company dropped 6 pucks in our skimmer (not sure what they are). FC is down to 10 from 25 a couple of days ago. CC is at 1. PH has dropped to under 6.8 (down from off the charts a couple of days ago) and TA is at 20. Can’t test CYA waiting for more test chemical. Pool is getting to a lighter green yet still can’t see bottom. Before I start dumping chemicals and $ into the pool looking for advise on what to do from here. Looking for a speedy clearing process. We put an older cartridge filter in as we always do at start up- will hose it off later as it it surely gunked up.
Thanks!

looking for advise on what to do from here.
1. Pull those chlorine tabs ASAP. They should never be in a skimmer. Also, they are acidic and your low pH may ruin your heat pump.
2. Increase the TA and pH ASAP. Add about 50 ppm of baking soda and watch the TA & pH closely. The pH MUST get back above 7.0.
3. Until you have fresh, reliable test reagents, add 5 ppm of liquid chlorine to the water each day.

Read up on the SLAM Process so you're ready when your refills arrive.

Hi! Tested CYA yesterday and it is at 0. Still in the midst of a SLAM pool is now green (not black) which I am taking as slow progress! All other chemistry seems to be ok. PH at 7.2, TA at 40, salt at 2720. FC has stayed right around 10. Water is still swampy and can’t see the bottom yet. Been brushing and vacuuming to the best I can without being able to see. Should I wait for clear water to bring up CYA? Too expensive for liquid and too long for solid and I do t want to waste $ just to vac to waste.
Thanks

I understand not wanting to waste anything, but it's best to add some stabilizer to get your CYA to 30. With no CYA, the chlorine is extremely strong. So increase the CYA to 30 then use "12" as your new FC SLAM level.

I would add a bit more baking soda to get the TA to 60. Good luck and have a great day.

Slam question- I have maintained slam levels of fc for the past 9 days. Pool is finally blue, but still cloudy. Haven’t passed overnight test or clear pool so I know I’m still in the midst of the SLAM- my question is.. is it better to add additional chlorine at night even if I’m above SLAM level? Just wanting this to be complete and losing patience. It is amazing the transformation so far, but trying to speed up the home stretch and I am at 13 FC- been losing about 4 each night.
Thanks! I’m

is it better to add additional chlorine at night even if I’m above SLAM level?
No. Adding more is a waste. I dole these out regularly to members in your position. They always work...

How often are you cleaning your filters? Clean them. Not clean pressure. When pressure rises 25%, clean them again.

I thank you😂. I know I need to take a POP pill! It’s just been sooooo long this year. Had my opening cartridges in until the other day and just switched out to my better ones. Been hosing them off every couple of days. Lesson learned DO NOT WAIT to open until the end of July 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: PoolStored
Looking through your logs, if you test FC and replace every couple hours it will go faster. My only slam, years ago now, took 8 days. I tested and replaced every 2 hours, 8am to 1-2am. I was relentless.

Do you have a ladder? Going through your pictures, you need to take the light out and clean behind it. You need to DIVE Capt. Ahab, remove the main drain cover and scrub behind it. Scrub your skimmers. Check your weir door foam for ALGAE. Check the plastic that holds down the liner around the stairs for algae. Scrub along those with a toothbrush. You are an algae detective...

Funny thing is I never even go in the pool! I just like to look at it and clean it! Been scrubbing not as intensely as you describe, but fairly regularly. It’s 10000% better then it was

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Never have attempted to take out the light. Had the pool 15 years. Wouldn’t know how to begin!
There are a series of screws around the light. Don't touch those.

There is one screw at 12 o'clock (likely) in the silver ring. Take that one out. Tip the top of the light away from the pool side, then lift. It should come right out. Cord should be sufficiently wrapped inside to allow you to unwrap and raise to the deck. Scrub behind the light. Reverse the procedure to replace.

Did you DIVE, Capt. Ahab?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.