Last Swim

You just need one of these!
vwq4pvtl1fybhhlhpfei.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
I had the first swim of the season yesterday. Well, I wouldn't really call it a "swim", more like "dive in, and get the heck out of here again". Water temperature 14C (57F), certainly refreshing.
I used to go to Cape Cod (Near Boston Massachusetts). The beaches to the south would be 70F+ (21C). On the east, the water would be 57F (14C), in the middle of summer! The biggest issue was the shock, but then it was fine. Of course, I'd never feel the sun and end up very sun burned.

Sometimes in mid winter (February) the pool water will get back to 70F. I'll jump in just to get a photo to post on Facebook for my friends back in the Northeast USA.

Reactions: mgtfp
How did you fare in tropical storm Beta or is it still going on? I saw on the news, there was lots of flooding in Houston.

People in the neighborhood with rain gauges said 10-12 inches of rain. I went from 3400 to 3000 ppm salt, or about 12% water replacement, which implies about 10-12 inches.

I used to go to Cape Cod (Near Boston Massachusetts). The beaches to the south would be 70F+ (21C). On the east, the water would be 57F (14C), in the middle of summer! The biggest issue was the shock, but then it was fine. Of course, I'd never feel the sun and end up very sun burned.

I've actually been to Cape Cod once. Must have been September. I went for a swim, but my feet cramped up in the cold water, so it was a very short dip.

Last week, our pool got up to 16°C, which was just bearable for a short swim. But we had another cold spell this week and torrential rain, so we're back to 12°C...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are still open, heating the pool to 88 and planning on our last pool party Sunday. I've swan (or used it for a big hot tub) most days in the last few weeks.
Then the bottom drops out of the weather temps and it'll be time to turn off the heater and wait for the water to turn cold. Then we close. Usually around mid October.

Reactions: pb4uswim
When to close the pool depends on how many trees in proximity to the pool and how much time and effort is needed daily. No cover is a no brainer, the earlier you close the less work to keep the pool clean. With an auto cover and a strong blower its very manageable. I have pools that go to week 3 in October and even 1 that keeps it heated with an auto cover till mid to end October.

Reactions: mariane
We were trying to wait for 60 degrees before we closed, but we have a huge old oak tree which is dropping leaves and acorns Into the pool like crazy. Cleaning it was a 45 min project every day. So we closed yesterday at 65 degrees, with a SLAM level of 16 FC and Poly 60. And a cover!

Hopefully a weekly dose of 2 cups 6% chlorine will maintain it over the winter so I don't open to a gréen pool in April!

Reactions: mariane
Well we did get one more swim in today! Heated the pool to 84 degrees and the temperature got into the upper 70’s. That is my grand daughter and son in law. This will be it though. Gonna cool down next week then I close in early October to avoid the leaves. But today was a blast!

Attachments

• 0927EFFB-A637-4946-A920-AA70EC4BD78C.jpeg
    0927EFFB-A637-4946-A920-AA70EC4BD78C.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 22
Our pool party went fabulously! Accidentally heated the water to 93! But is was wonderful. My son and his friend who is usually cold had a great time. Water fights, wrestling and water volleyball. It was so nice.
Now the heater is turned down, the stairs removed and waiting for the temps to get down to close the pool.
Good bye till Spring. It was a good year. I already miss the pool.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
I just did my last swim. It is 77F outside and the water is 85F. By Saturday, the high and low temperature is predicted to be 62F and 39F. I'm shutting off the heater. On the weekend, I'll do a final vacuum of the pool and put my solid safety cover on it. I'll keep the equipment running until the water drops below 60F before I close the pool completely for the winter. It may take awhile because the forecast is for 75F for 4 straight days next week. The cover is to keep the leaves out of the pool.

Last edited:
Rain and a fall off in air temps. Water is 81F (with cover on) and the air temp is 60F. I plan to do laps tonight...Supposed to be sunny and warm up over the weekend and next week. We will see how long I can stretch this. I might have to turn the heater on, one of these days.

Still swimming here. I have had to kick the heater on a couple of times to keep it around 80F, but usually not for more than an hour each time. We will see how long I can keep this up. I am prepared to keep swimming as long as it is above 70F.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.