Large white flakes in pool after cleaning SWG and replacing cartridge filters

DrHfuhruhurr

Feb 22, 2022
Porter, Texas
I cleaned my SWG this weekend with muriatic acid, as the automatic reminder popped up last week. I also replaced all four cartridge filters from my filter (Pentair CCP420). It's the first time I've done it myself (after ditching my pool service earlier this year), but followed all the instructions and had no issues (Salt Cell = Hayward TC-500 and did not seem particularly scaley). Within a couple of days, I noticed large white flakes around the bubblers in the pool and settling on the bottom of the spa. I assume it's excess calcium, but it seems odd to run into that problem after cleaning the cell. Calcium Hardness levels are still reading in an acceptable level according to the TFP app (went from 350ppm to 400ppm after cleaning, but TFP says 350-650 is ideal).

Should I just sweep up the flakes and see if they return, or is there something else I should do to ensure nothing is amiss? Thanks!

Did you have scaling on the cell plates? I wouldn't clean the cell just because a reminder popped up. Each time you clean the cell with muriatic acid, it removes a layer of the coating, reducing the remaining life time. Even though the manufacturers recommend that, it should be a last resort.

Best to avoid scaling in the first place by maintaining a slightly negative CSI. Maybe add Borates if that's not enough.

If scale does build up, then remove as much as possible by showering it off with the garden hose. Then try a soft wooden spatula to scrape off as much as possible. Cleaning vinegar would be the next step, not as aggressive as muriatic acid to the cell coating.

It could well be that the cell is now less effective in producing chlorine and more prone to scaling. Or now that the scale crust (if there was one) has been removed, new scale gets shed off easier when the cell polarity reverses.

Could you post a full set of test results?

I would vacuum the flakes into a skimmer sock, or let the robot clean them up if you have one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.