Large crack in plaster after freeze

teecee2021

Silver Supporter
Jun 16, 2021
Houston TX
Happy Holidays!

Cleaning the pool today and noticed a large crack and peeling plaster about a foot below the waterline under the skimmer intake. Pics attached. It appears to be a little bubble that isnt finished flaking off...its hard to see in the pic, but definitely a raised area extending beyond the crack.
We have had some unusually cold days here in Houston, but not like the freeze of 2021. Power stayed on, pump runs 24/7, chemistry is good.
I have a Dolphin s300 robot. The pool was replastered in January 2020.
Also noticed another crack about 3 feet to the left of the large one, at about the same level.

Could the cold have caused this? Or maybe was Any ideas and/or suggestions for next steps?

Attachments

• 20221226_134611.jpg
    20221226_134611.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 20221226_134552.jpg
    20221226_134552.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 20221226_134600.jpg
    20221226_134600.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Wow
Reactions: HeyEng
They appear to be patch work that are delaminating, very unusual for plaster to dislodge in this matter when it has been applied in large uniformly in large batches.
Next is to see if any structural damage has occurred behind the areas in question, something is causing the plaster to fall off and that needs to be addressed before any permanent repairs can take place.

• Sad
Reactions: teecee2021
Hi Tstex.

Everic pool plastering did the plaster redo January 2020. They claim a 1 year warranty, which is now expired. I did contact the pool builder, Sylvan Pools to inquire about a possible structural warranty--that was very much a joke. Their 'Lifetime Warranty**'? I quote: "The warranty transfer can only be done within the first five years of the completion date of the swimming pool and can only be done once by the original homeowner. This warranty has expired."
Might think twice about buying one of these again. :-(

• Sad
Reactions: markayash
Next step is whether I can prove the ground shifting was due to a school built behind my property. Which almost certainly will be an expensive uphill battle. Am I even interested in that kind of headache?

Someone just tell me how much it will cost to fix the darn thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Next step is whether I can prove the ground shifting was due to a school built behind my property. Which almost certainly will be an expensive uphill battle. Am I even interested in that kind of headache?

Someone just tell me how much it will cost to fix the darn thing.
I would get 3 diff quotes and ask each one:

What caused this?

What will it take to prevent this from happening again?

How much will it cost and warranty?

If you get 3 diff answers, you are going to need more bids.

I would definitely call MMG Mod Method Gunite as one vendor

Also, the answer is "No" to the school question...

Reactions: teecee2021
How old is the pool?

How long have you owned it and if not the original owner, did you have the time to transfer the warranty?
The pool was completed in 1995 by the original owner of the house. He sold it 2 years later, and I am the third owner, having purchased it 2 years ago. I dont think the warranty was transferred back then either.

I would get 3 diff quotes and ask each one:

What caused this?

What will it take to prevent this from happening again?

How much will it cost and warranty?

If you get 3 diff answers, you are going to need more bids.

I would definitely call MMG Mod Method Gunite as one vendor
Thank you for the suggestion! Yes, I have been researching builders and remodeling companies today.
Seems that is going to be the sane way forward.

Update:

Keith with www.aestheticpools.com came by and laid my biggest fears to rest. He doesnt believe its a structural issue, but only a first indication of a poor plaster job. (Thanks Keith!) The plaster wasnt applied thick enough, and without proper backing/bonding material. It will likely continue to crack and flake over the next few years until a new plaster job would be necessary.
fyi...it was applied by Everic pool plastering in January 2020. Everic Pool Plastering Inc. - Home I was told over the phone that this only had a One year warranty (?). They were out of town for the holidays, so I'll try them again and see if they might try to make good on this.
Will keep you all posted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.