Landscaping around base of Intex Ultra Frame pools

Thank You, Big-Kid! This was taken from the far side to catch the red sky but the Mt. view is actually better from the back & right side of the pool. This is where I would love to put a partial deck next year. The sunrises & sunsets over the mountains are beautiful so I would love to take full advantage of it~I have heard that if you pick three plants & keep repeating the same three plants you can't miss. Will be doing another border around first one with Hosta, Cotton candy grass {purple plumes} & lemon grass { for mosquito control}.Large potted plants with the same & some ivy. Love the way any purple, white or blue flowers look with the gray of the pool!

itodd said:
joshuaberman said:
I used two 40ft. Rolls of landscape border from Wal-Mart, then gravel. Didn't even bother with the stakes.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I have to take my pool down during the fall and winter months and have to keep that in mind when landscaping. Have to have something easy to work around. This looks perfect. The plants can easily be moved during installation. Where did you get the big rocks from?

Sorry, just saw your question. Been away for a bit. The rocks came from where I work.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Nina li, I have been away for some time and decided to take a look thru TFP to see what's happening. How are you doing with your pool and landscaping this winter? I've been tied up with other stuff and have let mine go for the winter. My bad:oops: I'll be taking back control this week.

I did get the deck built last spring and I am loving it. I also have started making concrete step stones around the base of my pool. I use a mold, fill it with concrete, smooth it and then lift the mold, move it over and fill it again. I have the walkway from the pool steps to the back door about half done. Man is it hard to mix that stuff by hand. I got a small concrete mixer in order to mix it better and faster. Should start going faster now.

The picks show my granddaughter, my sister and myself, and a couple angles on the deck and pool. I cannot wait for warm weather! I found an inexpensive nikon under water camera. The kids have a blast with it. That a how I got the picture of my granddaughter swimming. It's a lot of fun.

Wow...good job Joshua! it looks beautiful...

Taterfink...me and my pool are still hanging in there!!!! I'd love to see pics of your pool - we're so lucky we don't have to take it down and put it up again and again. I unplugged those copper thingies, stains faded - have to relandscape a bit though..my plants are not looking so good right now. :-( My white stones and stone border held up nicely. I'll post some new pics with my new and improved landscape first chance I get!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,596
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,584
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,575
Love this post, should be a sticky so we can all add to it. I'm going a foot more for a border then landscape after pool is up. Pool is 16x48 and we are doing a 17' circle with terrace board around base of legs/liner.

Got my circle!

e8a2a3y2.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had no idea when I started this that it would take off like it has! I love coming back to see what's been added. Personally, I've been busier upgrading equipment , putting in a deck and fence and hard plumbing everything than landscaping around it. I'm still undecided. We have re-thunk concrete around it. Too difficult to get rid of if we ever decide to let the pool go or sell the house. Today? I'm thinking step stones and rubber mulch. Last week it was rocks. Wonder what next week holds for me!:rolleyes:

homeandgarden023.jpg

A wide shot.......... :-D
That is gorgeous!

I have a question for you, Coastal Carolina. What is your source for the long pine needles for mulching landscape? Last year at Myrtle Beach walking the boardwalk, I pointed out the landscaping all over and mentioned to my wife that we needed to do that. Edging the landscape was what we were missing with our landscape around the house (sorry, no pool content as we aren't landscaped around it yet) and also noticed how beautiful it looked with the pine needles. Up here in PA, everyone just has shredded bark. The pine needles would be very unique in this area.

I've looked online and have seemed to find just 1 vendor selling the pine needles. We have one quite large tree in our yard and I was really surprised when I hit under it with a rake at how much I was able to harvest. I did that twice now. We have quite a few more of these trees but they are new and only a few feet tall. I got some out of the woods at my father-in-law's as well.

Do the big box improvement stores sell this down in your neck of the woods? I really wish they did up here, but then I guess it wouldn't be nearly as unique because a lot more would be doing it.

For now, I am just harvesting from my one tree, waiting for the othehave there. We absolutely LOVE the look of mulch covering rs to grow up and collecting from my father-in-law's property but haven't been there in a while. Again, beautiful pool area you with the pine needles. Smells wonderful too.

I have no idea on actual laws of harvesting needles like this in the wild. Everywhere is woods and forest around me and I would be able to get a ton of it if I could just walk into the woods with lawn/leaf bags.

View attachment 31687View attachment 31668View attachment 31675

We put our 15x48 intex pool up this spring. I am trying to decide if I want a permanent AGP or an inground, so bought this to try out until we are ready to redo the backyard in 2 years or so. I live in Fl and hope for 2 summers use and will cover, not take down, in winter. I consider my setup somewhat temporary, so keep that in mind with the materials I used. I had a pretty good slope so we cut out about an 18' diameter area, dug out the high side, leveled it all , then made a retaining wall in the yard on the "low" side. I put a couple of blue led light ropes around the pool under the rails and wrapped the pool with reed fencing affixed with zip ties. Then I used regular brown mulch around the entire pool, and have 50/50 (a shell and silt mix) also on the house side and on the back side where the pumps are. The reed fencing is doing a fairly good job of keeping the mulch and shell away from the liner. The reed fencing will not last for 2 years so plan to replace as needed. It's fairly cheap at HD.

We started our build with an ultra frame in April. 22ft was more than I bargained for. It overwhelmed my yard. So what else could I do but bury it! So this is what we done so far, see attached! Let me know if you have any questions....

ga6ybe8y.jpg

e2yjypar.jpg

View attachment 31687View attachment 31668View attachment 31675

We put our 15x48 intex pool up this spring. I am trying to decide if I want a permanent AGP or an inground, so bought this to try out until we are ready to redo the backyard in 2 years or so. I live in Fl and hope for 2 summers use and will cover, not take down, in winter. I consider my setup somewhat temporary, so keep that in mind with the materials I used. I had a pretty good slope so we cut out about an 18' diameter area, dug out the high side, leveled it all , then made a retaining wall in the yard on the "low" side. I put a couple of blue led light ropes around the pool under the rails and wrapped the pool with reed fencing affixed with zip ties. Then I used regular brown mulch around the entire pool, and have 50/50 (a shell and silt mix) also on the house side and on the back side where the pumps are. The reed fencing is doing a fairly good job of keeping the mulch and shell away from the liner. The reed fencing will not last for 2 years so plan to replace as needed. It's fairly cheap at HD.

Love the reed fencing! Even keeps the dogs from jumping on the liner.

PoppaS, intex foot bath from amazon. It's a little flimsy and hard to remove from the ladder legs to drain rain water out or just clean it. But for 20$ I like it, and really cuts down on dirt in pool. Do you plan to put a cover on yours in winter? I think I will have to cut back the reed fencing for my cover.
Intex Pool Foot Bath for Pools
http://amzn.com/B00GSPHTLY

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.