Lamotte ColorQ 2X Photometer compared to a Taylor FAS DPD Test Kit.

Mark McLeroy

Silver Supporter
Mar 31, 2022
New Rochelle, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Last year I had a company open my pool for the season. Once they got the water clean, I took over the maintenance for the rest of the year until it was time to close it for the season, then I hired them for that task. I tested almost exclusively with my Lamotte ColorQ 2X photometer all year with very successful results. I had crystal clear water the entire season. Well I did not feel like paying $2,700.00 again to have a company to open and close my pool this year (that's right, you read that last sentence right! But that's an upcoming post for another time!) Therefore, I open the pool myself this year and was taken back by the amount of algae in the pool. But I made the decision to be a TFPC supporter and went all in on your methods, and here I am, 1 week later with a crystal clear pool again. In fact I'm doing my first OCLT tonight with the Taylor FAS DPD test kit.
I was interested to see how the two test method results compared, so when I was bringing the chlorine levels up I initially did not go above 10 PPM just to keep the levels within the published parameters of the ColorQ 2X. I expected there to be a deviation but I was taken back by how much the results differed. The Taylor kit was giving me a result of 7.2 PPM of free chlorine and the ColorQ 2X was reading 3.31 PPM. Does anyone out there have experience with the ColorQ 2x and is it typical for it to be that far off in results?

Mark McLeroy

I'm interested, I'll ask you why! I've never owned any other test kit besides the Taylor so I'm game for an education.
I could get same result, Taylor/TF, doing back to back to back tests. Q would change from test to test to test with same water. And, different enough from Taylor/TF kits to matter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.