Laminar location and New Filter location

Aug 31, 2018
NJ
SO i was thinking of adding a laminar to the pool as i am redoing the existing pool (everything).

i didnt realize till today, but my pool is not in the center of my deck. So if you look at the pic below, you will see its kinda pushed to one side. so i am very unsure where the laminars should go and where the filter equipment should go.

here is a quick lay of the land:
Pool Shape.jpg

1. Filter Equip: as you can see the heater is on one side and the filter on the other. the previous owners had a very interesting setup. they had a separate pump that will pull water directly from the pool send it thru the heater and drop it back, without ever touching the filter. So i plan to move the heater next to the filter and move them straight back, next to the property line.
Any suggestions if i should move to the North East corner or would North all the way to the property line is better ?

2. I was thinking, while i am at it, i will get a LED pool light installed (there is none now, but since i am replacing the liner, it gives an opportunity) and add LED laminars. but now the shape of the pool is giving me some hesitation.
i was wondering if:
a. adding the lights is a good idea
b. for Laminars whats the best option
(i) all 4 next to the north line of the deck ?
(ii) just get three as in location A, B, C on the map
(iii) get 2 on each side B, C, F, G, but since the distance is not equal, i think this is out of question.
(iv) 2 along the length and 2 along the deep end so B, C , D and E.

Any pool designers to the rescue ?

Attachments

• Pool Shape.jpg
    Pool Shape.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Pool Shape.jpg
    Pool Shape.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 102
Laminars... nuff said. Can't help ya with that. Except to say: water features like that aerate your water, which will drive pH up. So you might have to increase acid dosing, or use your laminars less than you hoped for. Water falls, fountains, sheers, spas that dump into the pool, etc, all share this issue.

Did you neglect to indicate north, or did I miss it? So I'm not sure what corner you're referring to.

Good idea to combine the two equipment systems. It's gotta be better for your heater to run only filtered water through it. Put the new equipment pad as far away from the pool as you care to dig. Out of earshot, out of eyesight. If you can't achieve that, you could put it behind a sort of privacy fence, which would help dampen the sound. I've seen some combine this equipment shed with a pool toy corral, to keep that stuff out of sight, too, when not in use. Then you put a few plants in front of it... Bob's your uncle.

Is the heater gas? Have you figured that part out yet? Running gas line can be a big deal (and expensive).

Be sure your light does not point at where you will most view your pool. And not at the house. You'll hate that. Point it away from the house, away from where you'd sit out there at night.

Are you doing this work yourself? If you don't yet understand bonding, be sure to learn about it.

Laminars... nuff said. Can't help ya with that. Except to say: water features like that aerate your water, which will drive pH up. So you might have to increase acid dosing, or use your laminars less than you hoped for. Water falls, fountains, sheers, spas that dump into the pool, etc, all share this issue.

Did you neglect to indicate north, or did I miss it? So I'm not sure what corner you're referring to.

Good idea to combine the two equipment systems. It's gotta be better for your heater to run only filtered water through it. Put the new equipment pad as far away from the pool as you care to dig. Out of earshot, out of eyesight. If you can't achieve that, you could put it behind a sort of privacy fence, which would help dampen the sound. I've seen some combine this equipment shed with a pool toy corral, to keep that stuff out of sight, too, when not in use. Then you put a few plants in front of it... Bob's your uncle.

Is the heater gas? Have you figured that part out yet? Running gas line can be a big deal (and expensive).

Be sure your light does not point at where you will most view your pool. And not at the house. You'll hate that. Point it away from the house, away from where you'd sit out there at night.

Are you doing this work yourself? If you don't yet understand bonding, be sure to learn about it.

North will be the Top of the picture. will try to update the pic.

will try to put the equipment all the way to the back wall...

yes, the heater is gas. its old.... but i will still move it. i know the gas will be a pain and expensive... trying to get a quote on that. how easy is it to move it myself ?

have updated the location of the new light. it willbe in the center of the deep side. the liner people will install that. not trying that myself. Unless its easy... i have tried to find a video link but never found it.

i will read up on bonding anyways.... usually i try to read up before people come and work to make sure its done the right way.

- - - Updated - - -

@PoolGuyinCT
that's what i wanted to do, but if the pool is not in the center.... i dont want to drill up the concrete.... that will become a very large job.

Plan is coming together. I've never run a gas line, so I can't offer much. I expect the trench would need to be pretty deep, I know I wouldn't want to dig it! Local planning dept could tell you how deep, and then you can decide for yourself if you're up for it. You could rent a trencher, I suppose. Be sure to call 811 (is that the same across the country?) to identify any buried lines, before you start digging up your yard...

Not sure how wide is deeckbia but pool being in centered is gonna make a hard install without cutting the deck to get them installed. Otherwise put on edge of slab on deep end corners of pool to angle into deep side

- - - Updated - - -

Installing light is gonna need to get under deck too ur gonna have to access behind pool wall regardless

Not sure how wide is deeckbia but pool being in centered is gonna make a hard install without cutting the deck to get them installed. Otherwise put on edge of slab on deep end corners of pool to angle into deep side

- - - Updated - - -

Installing light is gonna need to get under deck too ur gonna have to access behind pool wall regardless

I missed that.. I thought deck was getting hammered

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It usually doesn't look good to have more than 2 on short side of pool. 2 corners are beat 3 or 4 would be good down long side. The lids for laminars are large keep that in mind like pie plates. How do u plan to keep deck and add lights to pool? Is the aide deck like 3 ft wide so u can go under at angle? I'm assuming ur gonna use return fitting Led types and not install actual light niches

It usually doesn't look good to have more than 2 on short side of pool. 2 corners are beat 3 or 4 would be good down long side. The lids for laminars are large keep that in mind like pie plates. How do u plan to keep deck and add lights to pool? Is the aide deck like 3 ft wide so u can go under at angle? I'm assuming ur gonna use return fitting Led types and not install actual light niches

so attached are the specs of the pool siding.
View attachment 86493

I am leaning towards putting in 2 laminars at location D, E without breaking any concrete.
OR
3 Laminars : One each at A, B, C

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.