Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820 -Won't power-on (some lights on Power Supply)

mchartra

Bronze Supporter
Oct 8, 2013
Canton MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hey gang. Our 6 year old Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820 has stopped working without any symptoms or warning.

When I press the power button on the power supply, the 4 LEDs at each corner light up but then turn off as soon as I release my finger.

If I unplug the harness and press the button, the four LEDs on the corners of the power button light up and stay lit. The filter and timer LEDs light for a second of so and then turn off -I assume it's a power on self test. As soon as I plug the harness back in, the power supply shuts down.

At first I was thinking it was an internal issue with the power supply, but the fact that the power buttons LEDs stay lit if the unit is not plugged into it leads me to believe there is some fault in the unit itself.

Any clues as to where I should take the troubleshooting?

A visual of the power harness and the unit itself doesn't show anything abnormal, although there is a bit of play (1/4") in the power harness cable as it goes into the white housing in the harness. It's spring loaded so I assume this is normal. Could it be a short somewhere along the cabling causing the PS to shut down? The boys work the pool cleaner and while they are told not to lift the unit by the cable, it may not surprise me if a connection was stressed somewhere along the way.

thanks!

Attachments

• Kreepy Krauly Cable.JPG
    Kreepy Krauly Cable.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 1
test if the cable has a short.. you will need to take the cable out and just do a simple test for continuity on each side.. then move that piece around and see if you lose continuity :)

Reactions: mchartra
Hey gang. Our 6 year old Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820 has stopped working without any symptoms or warning.

When I press the power button on the power supply, the 4 LEDs at each corner light up but then turn off as soon as I release my finger.

If I unplug the harness and press the button, the four LEDs on the corners of the power button light up and stay lit. The filter and timer LEDs light for a second of so and then turn off -I assume it's a power on self test. As soon as I plug the harness back in, the power supply shuts down.

At first I was thinking it was an internal issue with the power supply, but the fact that the power buttons LEDs stay lit if the unit is not plugged into it leads me to believe there is some fault in the unit itself.

Any clues as to where I should take the troubleshooting?

A visual of the power harness and the unit itself doesn't show anything abnormal, although there is a bit of play (1/4") in the power harness cable as it goes into the white housing in the harness. It's spring loaded so I assume this is normal. Could it be a short somewhere along the cabling causing the PS to shut down? The boys work the pool cleaner and while they are told not to lift the unit by the cable, it may not surprise me if a connection was stressed somewhere along the way.

thanks!
Hi there, I think I have the same issue with my Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820. It cycles the power the exact same way. Did you ever end up finding the issue? Was it the cable (which mine sounds like it has the same amount of slop that you described)? Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.