Klean Strip Green Muriatic Acid

GeorgiaPoolOwner

Gold Supporter
Jun 9, 2015
Canton, GA
I've always used PH down in the past because my old pool (vinyl) rarely needed it as the PH remained stable.

Anyway, I now have moved and have a pebble tec pool, and the PH seems to be drifting (every week it's back to 7.8-8.0).

I've been hesitant to use muriatic acid because I am clumsy and my hands shake. However, I am afraid if I am adding PH down every week I will soon have a sulfite problem.

So, I am going to take the plunge and switch to MA. Other than being weaker (I don't care about the cost aspect), is there any reason this product is bad? It doesn't have a percentage or ingredient list on the bottle, but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't adding anything to my pool that I didn't want in it.

Actually the Kleen Strip website says the 'Green' MA is 20% HCl. And the full strength Jasco MA I buy at Lowe's, I checked the Jasco website and that says it's 31.5% HCl. And all of it is about $8/gallon, so the cost difference isn't huge. If you're more comfortable with the Green, go for it. I'd still recommend wearing appropriate gloves, at least I personally do.

To help with your hands & potential spillage ^^^ gloves for sure. Lower the opened bottle of acid into the pool until the water is close to the opening, then tip the bottle. The water will help support the weight of the bottle and there's less chance for the acid to splash. Less distance to the water. Safety glasses are a good idea too.

Thanks everyone. I did purchase gloves and safety goggles. This was the only muriatic acid at my local Walmart (at least in the paint section) and it is $6.88 for a gallon. I like the idea of less fumes, but I did buy 5 little masks for 99 cents for extra precaution.

Some time ago, there was a very interesting post on here about an owner who gloved, masked, and wrapped himself in about everything imaginable. Wouldn't you know it, he somehow spilled acid and it got inside his mask and gloves and burned him.

I believe the BEST insurance against any acid spill is to apply it to the pool exactly as described by Lilypad above and if you still somehow manage to get a dose of it on your skin or clothes IMMEDIATELY roll into the pool.

Aside from probably soaking your wallet (you could take it out first but that sounds TOO organized), there will be no damage except a little to your pride as your spouse will take mulitple pictures of you in the pool and post them on facebook. :shock: :shock:

Reactions: Davekro
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.