Keeping up FC in Texas Heat

F-ACE

Nov 9, 2019
Austin, Texas
Got yellow algae. Slammed the pool for 5 days and then slammed for yellow mustard up to 29.4 FC for last day, because CYA is 50.
2 days later now the FC is already at 13FC.
New numbers today:
CYA 50
FC 13
CH 300-325
TA 90-100
PH 7.5
Quite intense how many liquid chlorite gallons used in this process of slamming.
What is best way to start each day keeping FC around 7 or 8 ??
$3 a gallon every time adds up.
I have about 5 pucks (trichlor) always in the chlorinator, but feels it is too slow to keep FC daily at numbers I want.
Any better ideas to keep my FC in range per day so TEXAS sun does not use up the FC that quickly.

Keep in mind when those 5 pucks in your chlorinator dissolve, you just raised your CYA by 6. While they are convenient, eventually they catch up to you, and I suspect is why you got the yellow algae.

For convenience I would say look at a Stenner Pump that adds liquid chlorine automatically, or you could look at salt water if you really want convenient.

Keep in mind when those 5 pucks in your chlorinator dissolve, you just raised your CYA by 6. While they are convenient, eventually they catch up to you, and I suspect is why you got the yellow algae.

For convenience I would say look at a Stenner Pump that adds liquid chlorine automatically, or you could look at salt water if you really want convenient.
Yes agree on the raising of CYA and pucks combination.
When looking at numbers in $$$.
This is what I'm brainstorming with.
I paid less than $100 to fill about 28000 gal of water last year after draining my pool.
I used now about 30 gal of liquid chlorinate (does not add CYA) to slam = $90
Liquid Chlorinate is best but cannot use this all year round.
It helps for a quick FC boost if needed.
What about Dichlor??? No CYA but does add Calcium and FC.
Trichlor adds CYA and FC
Use one of above and rather just drain pool partially during the year when calcium or CYA gets too high.
Seems cheaper that way....or what???
Liquid chlorinate was introduced to me like this: Expensive and weak!!!

You correct in about CYA of 6 for every 5 pucks.
Will see if 5 pucks hold up for 2 weeks...if so then 10 CYA per month.
I'm at CYA 50 now.
CYA 85 end of SEPT....
Financially probably way to go, but question is still that PUCKS release FC too slow and i am going to drop below 7 for FC soon.
Algae came because I had FC tooooo long under 3 and 2...my fault and paid the price.

Dichlor also adds cya
You r thinking of cal-hypo which adds calcium as well as fc
Alot of folks in texas are able to get 12% liquid chlorine in bulk for decent prices
Maybe this will help:
At any rate so long as you Test & are aware of the cya additions that will require water exchange to stay sanitary that is up to u.
As others have suggested a swg is truly the easiest way to add chlorine daily without having to lug jugs.

I would say go for it. Pucks are not recommended because most people are not aware of the FC/CYA relationship and that pucks contain about 50% CYA.
You know what they are, can test CYA and you know you will have to drain when CYA gets too high.

Dichlor also adds cya
You r thinking of cal-hypo which adds calcium as well as fc
Alot of folks in texas are able to get 12% liquid chlorine in bulk for decent prices
Maybe this will help:
At any rate so long as you Test & are aware of the cya additions that will require water exchange to stay sanitary that is up to u.
As others have suggested a swg is truly the easiest way to add chlorine daily without having to lug jugs.

Totally messed this up...yes I meant Cal-Hypo
Trichlor every 10ppm FC increase, also increase CYA by 6ppm.
Dichlor every 10ppm FC increase, also increase CYA by 9ppm.
Cal-Hypo every 10ppm FC increase, also increase Calcium by 7ppm.
I get Liquid Chlorine at Home Depot for $9 for three 1 gallons at 10%.
Is SWG an expensive change to install???? and water is then more salty???

I would say go for it. Pucks are not recommended because most people are not aware of the FC/CYA relationship and that pucks contain about 50% CYA.
You know what they are, can test CYA and you know you will have to drain when CYA gets too high.
Thanks....How will you keep the FC up there for next few TEXAS months...I assume trichlor and dichlor and cal-Hypo are all slow FC releases????

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@F-ACE you would need to shop around for prices on swg’s but it’s suggested to get one rated for double your pool volume so in your case that would be 60k gal. Most require about 3,500 ppm of salt to operate- if you test your water for salt you may be surprised by the amount it already has in it. My pool doesn’t really taste salty to me but then again I don’t drink a lot of pool water lol. 🤣 basically with swg’s you’re paying for your chlorine up front.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.