Keeping pool clean

MrBusses

Aug 7, 2021
Florida
I have an Intex 28211EH 12ft x 30in Metal Frame pool that I've had for 2 years now and its been a great pool, but even with a cover on it still gets dirty and I have to clean it before every use. I upgraded from the original 530g/h pump it came with to a 1000 and now I actually run both of them, the 1000 runs the skimmer that hangs on the side the other one just filters water. The water stays clean but when it rains dirt and other debris get though the drain holes in the cover and settle to the bottom.

Should I look at upgrading to a larger pump if so which one? are there any automatic cleaners that I can use with my existing set up to help keep it clean?

Welcome to TFP :)

You can use a manual cleaner to suck up the dirt or debris or they have above ground pool robots that are great at cleaning and scrubbing pools... I use an in ground robot to clean my Intex above ground pool with no issue :)

Give Margret a call or email and she can hook you up with a great robot, she has been helping us on TFP for awhile now...

I have a sub $100 vacuum that hooks up to the intake and works well (in my sig). I run it as needed. Cantilevered umbrellas over my pool help keep stuff out and the water cool.

Sometimes I enjoy making a whirlpool to catch the debris easier and then ride the resulting lazy river as a reward.

I don't remember if I ran a vacuum on an original pump (4th pool over about 30 years). You could try it first. This is my first pool with dual intakes. When I installed the better pump with skimmer I ended up plugging one of the intakes for increased flow in the open one.

If you're adventurous I would suggest trying the vacuum with the pump you have to see if it works for you. It won't hurt anything. If it turns out that you need a new pump (sorry) hopefully you still come in cheaper than the $300 vacuum. And you'll be able to run the pump for less time if you like.

The best thing I ever did was add a Hayward through the wall skimmer. The Intex skimmers are only slightly better than worthless, and everything that lands in your pool is going to end up on the bottom eventually. A through the wall skimmer does a much better job of keeping stuff cleaned off the water surface.

Reactions: MrBusses

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.