Keeping calcium in water!!

MCF50

Aug 18, 2020
Houston
We all know calcium deposits are a result of high pH. Many of you have advised to let saltwater pools rise up to 7.8 as that’s where they like settle. I add muriatic acid to keep it down around 7.4. For those of you that keep ph at 7.8 or 8.0, how do you prevent calcium build up?

It isn't just PH that is the problem, it is CSI that really matters but PH is a large component of CSI. So I try to target a CSI of around -0.3 which works pretty well for both the tile and SWG. But if I let it drift and get too high, I see the consequences pretty quickly.

If you want to maintain a high PH but a low CSI, then you will need to keep both TA and CH on the low end of the scale which is not always possible.

Thanks. Yes. Higher ph and lower TA is a challenge. Keeping hardness down for me isn’t though. So maybe I should let CH get to around 250? I usually keep it around 400. And yes I get calcium buildup quick if I don’t keep ph under 7.6.

Lower CH, and then set PH such that CSI = -0.3. TA will then take care of itself. But if you have high TA fill water and need a lot of it, then you will need to constantly add acid. Consider an acid dosing system. That is what I do. I have both high TA and high CH fill water so not much I can do but keep PH low.

But I wouldn't think high TA fill water would be an issue for Houston.

I have gone through several iterations of a DIY system. See signature. I have added a peristaltic pump for a bit more control.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.