Just started a conversion last Sunday

It's possible the 10% was actually stronger, or you added more than you thought? Also it could be you have less than 10,000 gallons.

If the solution doesn't turn pink on the first scoop, add another scoop.

Baq conversions really test the Pool Owner Patience. Seems like some are relatively simple, short and straightforward, and others drag on and on. You have been going for awhile now, that is frustrating. Hang in there.

Are you brushing all pool surfaces that are exposed to the pool, like behind ladders/steps, etc?

Thanks frustrated pool mom. I still have a question...see below. Please and thank you as my college age daughter would say.

We haven't even put our ladder in yet this year and my sides are pretty straight forward to brush so no, that isn't really an issue.

I know someone else on the forum was shocking for a different purpose, algae I think and they asked about swimming. Is it possible to swim when the FC is lower during the day and then shock back up to FC 15 at night? The water is so nice we'd all like to swim. :( And if so, what should the FC be when we swim since we don't have any CYA yet?

Thanks again for your help. I can't quit now, I've come to far.

P.S. I just went back through my entire "thread is it called?" and thought again about Jason asking if we have any CYA in the water. I just remembered that at the very, very beginning when we went to the pool store where we used to buy our Baquacil, the same guy that sold us the Shockwave stuff and said since our pool had been covered since last Sept. we wouldn't have any more Baqua, just shock with this stuff and put a puck in a floater and everything would be dandy....there was a puck in the floater for about a day or two before I found this sight and totally changed my line of thinking. Could that little tiny bit of a puck be causing this to take so long? So, from what I have read, the more CYA the more FC you need- maybe I need a higher FC to actually effectively shoc k? Please tell me what you think :idea:

One trichlor puck would have raised the CYA level by 3. That is not enough to show up on a test, but it is enough to slow down the conversion process noticeably.

If you are sure that you used one or more trichlor tablets, then you can bring the FC level up to 20.

Jason,

Thank you for responding quickly. It used up about half of one puck. I still have the leftover half in the floater. It is behind our swing in the corner of the yard so I had completely forgotten about it until re-reading your advise the morning. I will try the higher shock level tonight and see what happens.

You did not answer my previous question about swimming, does that mean no way, no swimming?

The problem with swimming is the CC level - it could be an irritant. That is why we recommend owners shock if their CC goes above .5. Boy your water sure looks inviting...I understand the desire to swim!
Go for another night of slightly higher shock level to see if that helps. Hopefully Jason will weigh in about the swimming in between because honestly I'm not at all sure.

BTW, I found reference that Shockwave is cal-hypo 73%. If it's the same product it didn't contain CYA.

Not much irritates this group. We were out building a paver patio pad all day. My poor hubby is still sawing bricks/pavers. What a way to spend Father's Day! It is productive though. CC of 1 probably wouldn't bother any of them, but I don't know. My parents have had a pool for 30 years and my dad now tells me he has never tested his pH. Can you believe that one? :roll: Fortunately, I survived into adulthood. :lol:

BTW when I looked up Shockwave, I got a website about how it is used as a pesticide....yikes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.