Just refilled my pool. Starting the TFP method for first time. So far so good!

dank0050

Apr 14, 2024
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All, I’ve enjoyed reading through the pool school articles and am looking forward to never stepping foot in a Pool store again.

Since I did a full drain and refill about a week ago, I’ve been following the TFP methodology. Using the TF100 test kit has been easy enough.

My question relates to TA and CH. Should I be concerned with my current levels and if so, won’t they adjust on their own over time or should I intervene with the recommended additions from the pool math app?

Thanks!

1714434450576.png

Welcome to TFP.
You can force TA down by adding MA to lower pH to 7.2, then let pH rise to 8.0 then add more MA to lower both pH and TA. this takes time and there is no rush so gradually bring TA down.
For CH, your profile does not indicate which type of pool - plaster, fiberglass, vinyl. So based on that there are recommended levels.
IT is best to list CYA in decade numbers such as 40 or 50. We usually round up when in between.
Also, confirm is 1,300 gals when you update the type of pool.
Please Create Your Signature to help us understand what your current setup is and this will help responders to quickly see your equipment and pool details without having to keeping asking for the information.

Reactions: dank0050
Welcome to TFP.
You can force TA down by adding MA to lower pH to 7.2, then let pH rise to 8.0 then add more MA to lower both pH and TA. this takes time and there is no rush so gradually bring TA down.
For CH, your profile does not indicate which type of pool - plaster, fiberglass, vinyl. So based on that there are recommended levels.
IT is best to list CYA in decade numbers such as 40 or 50. We usually round up when in between.
Also, confirm is 1,300 gals when you update the type of pool.
Please Create Your Signature to help us understand what your current setup is and this will help responders to quickly see your equipment and pool details without having to keeping asking for the information.
Thanks for the pointers. I’ve updated my bio 13000 gallon plaster in-ground pool. 50 CYA. So continue to add MA to bring the pH in range and eventually get to the target TA level?

Thanks for the pointers. I’ve updated my bio 13000 gallon plaster in-ground pool. 50 CYA. So continue to add MA to bring the pH in range and eventually get to the target TA level?
Yes on the TA. It is a slow process so no rush in trying to bring it down quickly. Most pools find a happy TA level - it may be 60 or it may be 80 so just monitor it.

Have you tested the tap water used to fill the pool? Mainly test TA and CH as those are the ones with most impact.

Now that it is defined as a plaster pool, it would be good to bring up CH to the 300-350 range. However since you are in AZ with hard water, it will increase on its own if you are replacing evaporated water with hard tap water (not going through a whole house water softener). If you need to purchase then-
Calcium Chloride can be purchased at Home Depot or online at Amazon. Normally better price than at a pool store.

Reactions: dank0050
I tested the tap for my fill: TA- 90, CH- 250
OK thanks. How did your TA go from 90 (tap water) to 110 (pool test)? Was anything added to increase TA?
It could be a testing error as well as each drop is 10ppm - so just monitor it as you lower pH.

Interesting that tap water is only 250ppm for your area - I had thought it much higher but regardless - I would not purchase Calcium Chloride right now - I am sure your CH will rise as you replace evaporated water.

OK thanks. How did your TA go from 90 (tap water) to 110 (pool test)? Was anything added to increase TA?
It could be a testing error as well as each drop is 10ppm - so just monitor it as you lower pH.

Interesting that tap water is only 250ppm for your area - I had thought it much higher but regardless - I would not purchase Calcium Chloride right now - I am sure your CH will rise as you replace evaporated water.
Thanks! Yeah, I’m still getting used to testing on my own with the TF100 kit so probably user error. I’ve had TA results ranging from 90-110. Should have paid more attention in my chem practicals as a student.

Appreciate your insights here!

Reactions: HermanTX