Christine Fury

Jun 15, 2021
Galloway ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Sooooo I am currently slamming my AG pool and just tackled draining and refilling the hot tub. Thank goodness I have the summer off my paying job to take on the FT job of getting the pool and now the hot tub going. As soon as it was filled I tested the water. We are on a well but have a new water softener. I filled with the hose. Here were the initial results:
FC 0 of course
Ph 7.5
Ch stayed blue and didn’t turn red
TA 320

I put everything into Pool Math and added what was suggested.
Current results:
FC still 0 not turning pink
Ph 8
TA 300
Water temp is 68 but rising.
I don’t have dichlorvos so I’ve just been adding 12.5% LC according to pool math app. What should or shouldn’t I be doing at this point?

I'm usually in the same boat with my well water. I'm good on PH but my TA is really high. I usually have to keep aerating the water (jets on) to bring up the PH then keep adding muriatic acid until I'm well balanced. With the pool in the beginning of the season I aim the jet up and over about a week of aerating and adding acid I can get my TA in line. Once I have the PH TA all in line then I personally will SLAM both spa and pool. I usually test my pool every 3-4 days but my spa I test daily.

So to avoid confusion, let's keep this thread focused on the pool since the tub start-up may vary. You can start a new hot tub thread for that one. :)

Remember new water has no stabilizer (CYA), so you'll want to add at least 30 ppm of stabilizer to the pool. Then use muriatic acid to lower the pH to 7.2. That will also help to lower the TA a bit which is typically high for the OH area. Be sure to increase the FC to about 3 ppm for today, then once the stabilizer is in the water (fully dissolved via the sock method) keep the FC balanced to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels to avoid algae.

CH shouldn't apply to you with a vinyl pool unless you have a heater. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Mdragger88
So to avoid confusion, let's keep this thread focused on the pool since the tub start-up may vary. You can start a new hot tub thread for that one
This is the new hot tub thread. :ROFLMAO:

Christine, until the CYA is good and mixed, the sun will burn off your FC in a matter of minutes in a hot tub, so cover it to retain it. It's also real easy to add 1/4 cup of bleach a few times a day, so up to you. Anywho, that's what happened to your FC.

Lower the PH and aerate to bring it back up, lather rinse repeat and the TA will fall.

You're off to a good start with the hot tub.

This is the new hot tub thread. :ROFLMAO:

Christine, until the CYA is good and mixed, the sun will burn off your FC in a matter of minutes in a hot tub, so cover it to retain it. It's also real easy to add 1/4 cup of bleach a few times a day, so up to you. Anywho, that's what happened to your FC.

Lower the PH and aerate to bring it back up, lather rinse repeat and the TA will fall.

You're off to a good start with the hot tub.
Ja3372, NewDude and TexasSplash,
Thanks for responding about the hot tub. I ordered dichlor last night on Amazon and already have it in hand. I’m going to work on it right now to get everything balanced. The pool is its own beast right now and needs attention too but I think I’m through the hard part with it except for having to pull the umbrella out of it from the storms this morning.🤣

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.