Just received tf100 test kit question

TravisMG

May 30, 2020
Muncie, IN
My water has finally filled and I am read for my first tests. The only thing added while filling was 2 gallons of 12.5 liquid chlorine from pool store. What should my very first tests be? I have read through pool school, but where to start seems fuzzy for me. Sorry, I am new to all this.

welcome to TFP chlorine test you need stabilizer also (cya) these two are important you will get lots of help if you fill out your info I.E pool size (gallons) equipment and so onplus what test kit u you use here most recommend tf-100 and pics everyone like pics and fire away questions none are dumb . good luck
my wife /her family is from your area i converted her to a Okie tho.

Well, you don't have your signature filled out with your pool details, so I'm not sure what or how big a pool we are dealing with, but.....

CYA/Stabilizer is not in the fill water or the liquid chlorine, so you need to add it. Without stabilizer the sun will deplete teh chlorine by the end of day one. Most of your big box stores (Home Depot/Lowes/Walmart) have CYA so you can pick it up there.

Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes in the toes) and put the measured amount of CYA you need to get to your first target. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process or just leave it alone, your choice. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

We also like to see folks add chemicals like CYA in stages. In your case, add enough to target 30 and wait to see the results. If the final goal is higher due to a salt water chlorine generator or a pool in a very sunny location then we might target 50, then target the final 70. Doing it in stages allows you to make sure you don't overshoot your goal. We find that many people are slightly "off" on the volume of their pool, so it's easy to add too much of a chemical. At first, just stick with 30 as your target.

Once you have the sock in the water test the following items in no particular order

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH

Hold off on the CYA test for a couple of days.

My pool info is under the "about" heading, do I need to put it in a different spot. I have an 18x33 , 19k gallons. Cartidge filter, no salt generator.
It helps if you have it in your profile signature. That way it shows up at the bottom of every post so we can see what we are dealing with without going to the about.

This link should get you to your signature

• List what test kit you use to test your water
  • The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Check your FC reading. That will tell you what you need to know. If it's less than 2, I'd add some liquid chlorine to bump it back up to 5 or so. Once you get that stabilizer dissolved and circulated, you'll find that the sun won't burn off the chlorine nearly as fast.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can chlorinate as if the 30cya is in the water. It will take about 24-48 hours after dissolving to show on the test.

What's the result of your tests? Did you run the ones from post #3 yet?

That's really high - there's an issue with static electricity in the dropper for R-0009 that sometimes makes the drops too small and the test read too high. I would recommend doing the TA test again but this time use a damp paper towel to wipe off the tip before each drop is added. Let us know if that result changes. After testing the TA about 3 times doing this the static electricity should be gone and you should be OK to use it without wiping each time.

You could just have really hard fill water, but let's see what it is with that first please. :) Worst case scenario you just have to add acid more often because high TA will make your pH raise more quickly over time. There's no need to force the TA down typically.

OK - just questioning the 19000 gallons. Wouldn't want you overshooting on chems if the pool is smaller than you think it is. :) If you're pretty certain on it then never mind my concern there!

OK, so the TA is pretty high. You'll be adding a lot of muratic acid - just keep an eye on the pH and when it gets to 8.0, drop it down to 7.6 or so. Over time the TA will come down from the acid, and as you add fill water from evaporation the TA will go up.

How does the pool water look? Any visible algae or cloudiness?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.