Just received TF-100 Need Help

Given you have no CYA you should use pool math to calculate how much bleach you need to get to 10FC and add it to the pool, retest FC 30 minutes later to ensure it held FC and you don't have ammonia. If it holds chlorine then you need to use pool math and figure out how much CYA you need to add to get to 30 and continue on the SLAM process.

Please read this guide to doing the FAS-DPD test included with your TF-100.
Then please test and provide:
FC:
CC:

Was that salt reading provided by SWG itself, pool store, or a separate salt test you own (if so, which)?
What model SWG do you have? Please add it to your signature following the instructions and format on this page - it will make your posts more tempting to answer for our experts, and save them time!

FC:.5
CC:.5

Both took one drop to turn to clear.

6600 gal, Semi-Inground with liner, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Powerflow Matrix, Hayward S201T Sand Filter, Hayward Aqua Trol Salt Chlorine Generator, Dolphin Nautilus Cleaning Robot.

Great job on the FAS-DPD testing! As others have posted, you need to add enough bleach to get FC to 4 to keep this pool from getting worse. Keep bringing it up to 4 until you begin adding CYA - then once you get the CYA dissolving, bring FC up to 12 and keep bringing it up to 12. This is called a SLAM Process.

Depending on what your owner's manual says for salt levels you may need to drain and replace some of your water. PoolMath can tell you how much.

Thank you for posting the K-1766 salt testing method. Great work!

How often do I check the FC to get to 4. Do I need to empty water first before doing this to get the salt down first?

6600 gal, Semi-Inground with liner, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Powerflow Matrix, Hayward S201T Sand Filter, Hayward Aqua Trol Salt Chlorine Generator, Dolphin Nautilus Cleaning Robot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bring FC up to 4 now if you have the bleach. If you're going to do a partial drain in the next 24 hours, then skip it. Otherwise, bring up to 4 each night until the day before the partial drain/refill.

Wait to add the CYA until after you drain too. The manual or website will tell you the max salt level, then pool math will tell you how much to drain and then refill. If you have questions, we're here.

I am going to do a partial drain today because the weather will be crappy the next two days so the kids won't be using the pool anyways.
Then I will start the slam process. Instead of bleach could I use liquid chlorine as I bought a few gallons the other day. No big deal I could grab the bleach if you suggest it instead.

Sounds like a plan!
Instead of bleach could I use liquid chlorine as I bought a few gallons the other day.
You absolutely can! In fact, the active ingredient in bleach is "#.##% Sodium hypochlorite" and usually the 8.25% is the best deal. As long as your liquid chlorine is "10%Sodium hypochlorite" or "12.5%Sodium hypochlorite" or whatever, you're good to go, it is 'bleach', just at a higher % strength/concentration, which means less jugs for you to move and carry. Sometimes it is a better value, sometimes it isn't. But chemically speaking, both Sodium hypochlorite, just make sure you adjust the % on PoolMath to whatever your bottle says it is.
[h=1][/h]

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it is fine to use liquid chlorine, its is the same thing as bleach. It should list out the concentration % on the bottle. Adjust that in pool math when figuring out your dosage.

Perfect answer and so much shorter than mine! Love the link to pool school too!
:goodpost:

Ok so I did a partial drain yesterday and here is were I stand today. I have party tommmorow the water is ok just a bit cloudy not sure where to go from here.

Salt 3100
Instant salt says-4300
Percentage-10%
FC-1
CC-1
Ph-7.5
Cl-1
Br-1
T.A-40
CYA
0-Filled tube to the top and still saw the dot on the bottom.

Do you have any CYA/stabilizer/conditioner on hand? If not, you need to buy some - available at Walmart/home depot/lowes/ace/pool stores/other.

Use PoolMath to insert your gallons (estimate gallons on that page too if you don't know using rough dimensions) and on CYA set current as 0 and goal as 30. Assuming 6,600 gallons, 1lb10oz. Most walmarts seem to have the HTH 4lb jug and some have a 1-2lb cylinder that is clorox i think. Hardware stores and pool stores have a variety of sizes too.

If you can't get it today, that's okay, the chlorine in the water will just be harsher to bathers since the CYA mellows it, as well as protecting it from sun. We will try to keep FC under 4ppm before the party unless you get CYA, then we'll increase it.

- - - Updated - - -

As long as the new salt level is under manufacturer limit, feel free to flip it back on too. Great job on the partial drain/refill. Still boost the FC with liquid to get it cleared up and not have to strain the SWG at a high setting.

I actually bought some the other day. This is what they had.
57987f5f5faa6c3e1fb4e7e9a61bad28.jpg
. Do I add this and try to bring FC up at the same time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.