Just purchase a new home with a Pool

Apr 15, 2018
Daphne Alabama
Hello :)

May i just start with what an absolutely wonderful website and forum that has been built here. it is full of lots of information.

I have just purchased a home with a pool, picture below. Its a plastered in ground pool was put installed by Blue haven pools. It is a chlorine pool.

I have never owned a pool and i have never maintained one.

Being British I am also really tight with money and dont fancying paying a pool guy to maintain it. (How hard can it be?:D)

What are the do's and dont's?
What test kit is best for a beginner?
What should you focus on initially? Chlorine levels?
Do you buy your supplies in bulk? I was thinking of buying a job lot once per year.

IMG_0275.jpgIMG_0272.jpg

Welcome! :wave:

Test kit: don't skimp. There's only two worth considering, the Taylor K2006C and the TF100. I use a TF100 and a speedstir. It's an investment. One algae bloom avoided will more than cover the expense in bleach not purchased.

And speaking of bleach, once a year is not a good idea. Bleach degrades over time. If it's stored in a warm place, in six months you may just have gallons of expensive salt water.

Initial focus: keep pH in 7.2>7.8 range for swimmer comfort and to protect the pool surface and maintain chlorine at an adequate level for your CYA. The rest is just fine tuning.

If you're like most of us, you'll end up engrossed in Pool School until you're like :crazy: That's normal. It will all make sense once you start doing it. You test, you play with pool math, you treat, you retest and then one day the light bulb goes on and it all makes perfect sense.

thanks for the kind words, we are really happy that we will be living in this place real soon.

Reason I’m asking the questions now is because i really want to hit the ground running.

I will not skimp on the test kits I will probably go with tf-100 and the speedstir as it seems to be what most videos are using on this site.

I am even considering switicing it over for Salt water if it makes my life easier.

A SWG will be a great addition to your pool. It will help you keep your CYA in line versus the puck feeder I can see in your equipment pad picture. The pucks add CYA (or calcium depending on the type) while a SWG only injects chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.