Just opened - need some guidance after dumping gunk into pool

Feb 15, 2013
Peoria, Illinois
My winter cover was a nightmare to get off this year. Lots of water and green pine needle gunk ended up in the pool. Prior to removing the cover, the water didn't look too bad. After a few days of running the pump, brushing, and vacuuming the junk out, I took my first set of readings. I have added about 90 oz of liquid chlorine I had left over from last summer. I'm sure most of its strength is gone. The water is pretty green, but I am able to see the bottom just barely. Looking for advice on how to tackle things. Should I lower the ph a bit, raise the CYA, and then start slamming? Thanks!

FC: 3.0
CC: .5
ph: 7.6
TA: 270
CH: 400
CYA: 15

Not sure how you measured a CYA of 15 as the tube tops out at 20. So I would slightly increase CYA to 30 maximum.
It is always best to work in decade numbers for CYA - 20, 30, 40, etc. Then lower pH and follow SLAM.
SLAM Process
Buy fresh liquid chlorine because you would need to raise FC to 12ppm if you can get your CYA up to 30ppm.

Reactions: reggiehammond
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.