Just opened my pooltoday

mer33

Jul 1, 2016
NJ
Folks,
Opened my pool in NJ. I use a local pool guys to open and close the pool as I am new to this.
But I maintain the pool during the summer.

In spite of my repeated requests not to add anything other than Liquid Chlorine (5 Gallon @12.5% Hypo Cl) the guys added 2 chemicals.:(
Poly 60 - Non Metallic, non-foaming Algaecide
SeaKlear - 90 day Algae prevention & remover

The pool water looked little coloudy on the deep end.
Last year I had big issues with my CYA levels being too high.

This is my readings today.

FC - 3.6
CC - 1.2
Ph - Above 7.8
CYA - slightly above 30.

I need to vaccum the pool floor to remove leaves and debris.
I plan to start the SLAM tomorrow and see how it goes.

Hope the chemicals they added wont impact the chemical composition adversely.

Thanks

Welcome back to another swim season. :wave: Your CYA is in a perfect place for a SLAM. You only need to increase FC to 12. But before you do, make sure to reduce the pH to about 7.2. You can lower pH with muriatic acid. Once it's adjusted to 7.2, crank-up that FC and SLAM until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. The algaecides may foam-up when you increase FC, so just be prepared for that. Good luck!

Welcome back to another swim season. :wave: Your CYA is in a perfect place for a SLAM. You only need to increase FC to 12. But before you do, make sure to reduce the pH to about 7.2. You can lower pH with muriatic acid. Once it's adjusted to 7.2, crank-up that FC and SLAM until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. The algaecides may foam-up when you increase FC, so just be prepared for that. Good luck!

I couldnt do anything yesterday as I was too busy with work.
How long it takes for the Muriatic acid to work?
I have never done this before.
The water is clear and I am maintaining FC around 7.
Also when I tested CYA this morning it reads around 45.
I am not adding anything other than liquid chlorine (Sodium HypoChloride 12.5).
Is it something else on my water or my tests were not correct?

PH ~ 8
TA - 140
CH - 300
CYA ~ 42

Thanks

Based on those last test results, you'll want to lower the pH to about 7.2 using muriatic acid. Pour slowly near a return jet(s) with pump running, then re-test in about 15-20 minutes. You can use the Poolmath calculator to help you with the correct dosage. Once the pH is lowered, and based on your CYA of about 45 (round-up to 50), increase your FC level to "20". That's where you'll want to be until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Good luck!

Started the SLAM yesterday after bringing down the PH to around 7.6

As my CYA was 40 target shock was 16.
During the day it went low 10.
Last night my son added more Chlorine than needed
At 10:40 PM my FC was 19.2 and CC 0.2
Today around 7:30 AM FC 16 and CC 0.2

This to me is good news. Will continue to maintain at shock level and try the overnight test tonight.

My water is crystal clear and the cc is 0.2
Hopefully th pool will hold the FC tonight.

Thanks for your help

Hello All,
2nd day into SLAM.
During the day time we are losing around 6 PPM of Chlorine from the max of 16.
It is raining heavily overnight.
I see the current level ona 10 ML sample
FC - 12.5
CC - 0.5

Do you think the additional rain water will skew the results?
Should I continue to SLAM thru the rain?

Thanks

Did it hold the FC overnight ??

If it rains enough that you need to dump some water it will mess with your readings. If you can try to maintain your SLAM through the day and do the loss test tonight (no rain) then you'll know for sure if you're good or not.

As for the pool service, I'd call them and ask why you're getting charged for things you specifically asked the service person not to add and you want them removed from the bill. It's more than just being, well difficult. I'd want to make sure the guy who comes out and the person in the office both know how you feel and they should explain why your instructions were ignored. It's like you don't matter and they can do whatever they want even after being instructed by you what you want. What if you, spouse, kids were severely allergic to some chemical in one of those additives.

That isn't much different than if you went in for any service, say an oil change and asked for regular oil and you come to pick up your car and they used Synthetic because they decided it's better for you, at YOUR cost of course.

Looks like my SLAM is done.
after the rain filled the pool, I had to vacuum all the worms and out and drain some water.
i have been maintaining the SLAM level (FC 16)
last night around 9 PM my FC was 16 PPM and CC less than 0.5 and the water very clear
this morning around 7AM my FC is 15 and CC 0.5 and the water very clear.

so from now on I will maintain the FC as suggested here based on my CYA levels.
looks like I have a leak on my Pentair spider valve.
i may try replacing the O ring and the gasket.
I will follow up on a different thread

thanks for all the guidance

All,
After the SLAM I tested my pool water today. Yesterday I didnt add any Chlorine.

FC - 4 PPM
CC - 0.4
PH - 7.8
TA - 140
Calcium Hardness - 290
CYA - little over 30.

Based on my CYA of 30 as per Pool Math, I am raising my FC to 6 and maintain there.
Is there a necessity to lower my PH or TA?
I have a SPA from where the water is falls in to the Pool.

Thanks

It may not be a bad idea to lower your pH just a little. You don't want it over 7.8. The acid should also help lower TA slightly. But as the season goes on, if you find that your pH climbs too quickly, then you can lower the TA down to around 100, and if that doesn't work, try 80. No rush though. Only if needed based on your pH changes.

Definitely watch your FC and keep it in the "good zone". :) Have a nice day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.