just opened my pool and no matter how much shock i put in when i test the water the fc is at close to 0

pooooool

Jun 28, 2019
new york
my pool is green! i had this last year i litrerly put 15 pounds at a shot 2 times a day and i would test 20 min later and there was no fc!!!help? what could it be? Last year i ended up putting in non chlorine shock in a few times and eventually i got it out of the lock, any ideas?

Are you able to hold CYA ? If that gets eaten quickly as well, it's likely to be ammonia.

The cure is a rapid dosing (of alot of chlorine), which sounds like you inadvertently did last year.

How much chlorine shoukd I add at a time?
Are you testing your own water? What test kit are you using? You first need to know your CYA level and then refer to the CYA/Chlorine ratio chart for the target level of chlorine needed to SLAM (shock level and maintain) the pool water.
Please check out SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain for all the information you need to get your water back to blue!

Reactions: newdude
Here are a couple of steps directly fro the article posted above

Confirm that You Have an Ammonia Problem in Your Pool Water​

1. Your CYA will be 0
  2. Add chlorine for 10 ppm and test your free chlorine after 30-minutes. You likely have ammonia in your water if you lost 80%+ of FC in 30 minutes
  3. Your CC tests > 0.5
  4. Optional: An ammonia test indicates the presence of ammonia

Reactions: newdude
Guilty as charged! I ordered a proper kit i am waiting to get it i figured if the strip and store say the same i could rely on it
But regardless I gather whether it's ammonia or not I should just continue shocking and checking levels every 30 minutes? I didn't want to waste shock if there was something else wrong and it was vanishing for no reason

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i figured if the strip and store say the same i could rely on it
So by the strips own say so, 0, 20-50, 100 and 250+........ (or whatevs the values are), really doesn't tell you anything, now does it ?

The CYA is rhe most critical aspect of what we do. Without it you will have too many or too little FC. They both end badly.
But regardless I gather whether it's ammonia or not I should just continue shocking and checking levels every 30 minutes? I didn't want to waste shock if there was something else wrong and it was vanishing for no reason
You can't test FC reliably without a kit. Count to 20 with the test strips and it's a new color. Plus, they start degrading the moment you open the seal on a new bottle. Use the bottle to verify your garbage can still makes the ker-chunk sound.

Wait for your kit. You are throwing money away if you try before then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.