Just got my PG&E bill ... ouch!

toofast said:
Thread is bookmarked...I have a similar situation...so curious if 2 run times spread across the day are better than one long one !!
That's a great question - it seems like there's a few ways to look at it:

Financial: 120 watts * 1 hour = .12 kWh, at $0.34/kWh (4th tier) = $0.0408 cents for every hour the pump runs. So, in one day, if I run for 8 hours, it's $0.33, and for 10 hours, it's $0.41 cents ($0.08 cents difference). Across a year, that's going from $120 to $150, assuming high-tier power prices, and $64 to $79 assuming $0.18/kWh lower-tier prices.

Cleanliness: I wonder if running the pump continuously (rather than two separate sessions) results in a cleaner pool, since the particles are already kicked up, and just need to be filtered? I'm trying two sessions, so that the auto chlorine feeder is a bit more spread-out throughout the day. (Yes, I'll be getting away from the pucks, but my CYA is really low right now, so I might as well use up what I have! I wonder how low I can stay, with an automatic pool cover that we use religiously?)

Shane1 said:
Have you checked with your utilty provider to see if you qualify for a equalizer plan or time of use plan? Our utility offers both and it helps ease the pain quite a bit. It might be worth checking into.
We are going with a PPA through SolarCity, so I'm hoping that will drastically reduce our electricity bill :)

werd98 said:
Shane1 said:
Have you checked with your utilty provider to see if you qualify for a equalizer plan or time of use plan? Our utility offers both and it helps ease the pain quite a bit. It might be worth checking into.
We are going with a PPA through SolarCity, so I'm hoping that will drastically reduce our electricity bill :)

Good for you guys. I had three quotes last month from various solar companies and none of them could save us any money. They said we were utilizing the time of use plan to its fullest potential and getting great value out of it which made me fell good.....but I still wanted solar dangit!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.