Just completely drained but now no CYA

HUFL-AZ

Sep 10, 2021
Gilbert, Arizona
Pool Size
Four days ago I completely drained my pool and filled it up. I have added only liquid chlorine and muratic acid. We are having temps still at 85-90 degrees during the day but overnight they are 60 degrees.

I just completed my tests and here’s my numbers:

FC: 7ppm
CC: .5
CH: 350 ppm
TA: 130
PH: 7.5
CYA: 0

When I did the CYA test it was completely clear and I could always see the black dot.

I’m not sure what I need to do to get my levels right and not screw them all up again after just draining. What do you suggest? What do I need to add? Or stop adding?

Also, just want to be sure I’m doing this right, I’m getting my PH from the Taylor Residential Test Kit. There’s not a PH test with the TF-100 right?

Using an old sock, add most of the CYA (stabilizer) your pool calls for and weight down the sock in front of a return. You can kneed the sock like bread to make it dissolve a little quicker if you like. Always easier to add a little more CYA than drain water to lower the CYA level. That's why you don't want to add it all at one time. I've bought stabilizer at walmart or big box stores. Recently I needed to order on line.
The TF-100 should have come with a chlorine/pH tester but it should be the same or similar to the one in the Taylor kit IIRC.
CYA in sock 1.JPGCYA in sock 2 sm.jpgStabilizer HTH brand.jpg

I have been hanging a sock over the edge of the pool weighted down by a rock and don't have any staining or etching.

I put my CYA sock in the skimmer. I find that to be the easiest.
I needed CYA a few weeks ago and could’t find it at Lowe’s or HD. I had to go to Leslie’s. Hopefully the other places got it in.

I also often put mine in the skimmer - especially if I am out at the pool for most of an afternoon - I remove it every once in a while to squeeze it which helps to make it dissolve a little faster.

I have also found that the Clorox stuff dissolves about 2 times slower than some others I have purchased. I have even used the HTH CYA pods that you drop into the skimmer basket (they work pretty well). I use a hair net in my skimmer basket, so it acts like a sock as well - keeping the big chunks from making it to my cartridge filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.