josh_s

Jul 19, 2015
mesa, az
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi -- I've been reading the site for the past few weeks and learning a great deal. Ordered my TF-100 test kit today.

I just noticed this past weekend a hint green murkiness in the pool. I've recently added the Bio-Active CYA reducer about 2 weeks ago to help get the CYA down. It was about 130 ppm and now reads 100 ppm.

Hopefully the test comes soon. In the meantime, I plan on draining the pool down a 1/3 or so and filling with fresh water to help drop the CYA prior to doing a SLAM.

Hello Josh and welcome! You have the right idea about draining, and we're certainly happy to hear you have the TF-100 on its way. :goodjob:. Honestly, I'm not personally familiar with the Bio-Active CYA reducer, maybe some others will chime-in. But since you're waiting on the test kit anyways, and you know you need to drain, why not start that partial drain now? Don't add anything else to your water since you're going to drain some of it anyways, and when it's full, be ready to SLAM with regular liquid bleach.

Green means algae, and algae means "SLAM". Hit it head-on and you'll be fine. Let us know if you have any more questions, and welcome to the site.

Thanks TS. UPS shows the kit arriving on Monday, so I will over the weekend begin to drain out about 1/3 of the water.

Is it more effective to use household bleach or the chlorinating liquid they sell in the pool sections of stores?

The cheapest plain bleach available as long as it has the percent on the label. There used to be a spreadsheet on here somewhere, where you could plug in costs and percents to get a head to head comparison of which was actually cheaper. Sometimes there is a deal on pool store liquid chlorine, sometimes big box stores is better priced. Most of the time around here ALDI's is the best price.

I am Slamming right now myself, and I've been buying 10% Liquid Shock, 4 gallons to a case for $7.99, at Rural King. It equals about $1.99 a gallon, but it's 10%, so if you have to buy (2) gallons of 5%, or (3) gallons of 3% at the store the price will be about the same or slightly less. The higher the percent the less gallons you have to lift, or find room to store, and the less empty gallons you have to recycle or throw in your trash can.

Thanks for the info, guys. I just got a coupon to for a local ACE hardware to where I can get 8 gals for about $20 (before tax). I'm not quite sure on the concentration, but will notice now that I know what to look for.

NPS (pool store chain) has 10% at $12.79 for a 4 gal case and $4.95 for a 2 gal case. Not sure I understand that pricing -- whats the benefit of buying a 4 pack? Anyway... those prices exclude tax.

CJ4u - Wow, that's a good price!

Yes it is a heck of a deal josh, that's why I've been buying, and running nothing but the 10% the entire SLAM time. Less work for me not having to lift additional gallons, less bleach being added to raise to the levels to the SLAM level, and you can't beat that price at all. I'm not sure if you have a Rural King close to where you live, or not, but at those prices it would definitely be worth checking into.

Also if you do Not have a Rural King in your area, another thing you might be able to do is to pull up that price on Rural King's online site, have it on your phone, and perhaps Ace, Home Depot, Menard's, Lowe's, etc. would do a price match off their prices to get you to buy from their store? I'm not certain they will do a match price with it being so low, but if they will it will save you a lot of money in the long run.

LOL If I wasn't afraid of mine freezing, or breaking down, over the Winter in the garage, I'd load up on it at that price. Hope the info helps to save you some money, time and space. Have a Nice Day!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome Josh! Just wondering how you and your pool are doing?