Jandy Wireless Remote

yuckypants

Aug 18, 2019
Riverside, CA
I can only control my pool with the iAqualink software on my phone. It's a horrendous pain because it's always dropping out and disconnecting - and like tonight, I can't turn the Dang pool off manually.

I'm interested in the wireless remote (AQWHR18), but I can't find it ANYWHERE. Has it been discontinued? I'd consider a wired controller, but I have all concrete between my pool and house and have no idea how to get it in now. Unless, of course, I could install something inside the pool's control panel...

Does anyone have any ideas or can offer any guidance? I'm at my wits end. At least the schedules will continue to work....

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried a WiFi signal extender like the below? Place it as close to your Jandy WiFi antenna as possible. You should also be able to add the wireless PDA handheld along with the 900Mhz antennae but those kits are pricey (see below).

I already have a wireless signal extender upstairs, but it may be a good idea to get another. My stupid ISP upgraded my router and I can't go back the old one. It's causing all sorts of issues and I think this is just the most obvious/obnoxious one.

I just want something that's more guaranteed. I want to make sure that I don't put all my trust into an app or technology that may/may not work consistently enough. Unfortunately, these prices have always been ridiculous, but I may not have a choice.

I have periodic iAqualink connection issues from my laptop and find that a power reset to the Aqualink board at the equipment pad almost always results in an immediate connection. I end up doing that power reset about once every other week.

I rarely have connections issues like that but my iAqualink WiFi antenna is very close to my home WiFi antenna. Not more than 20 feet apart. If it had the connection issues you describe, I would run a hard CAT5 wire and hardwire it instead of WiFi. It supports both.

I have periodic iAqualink connection issues from my laptop and find that a power reset to the Aqualink board at the equipment pad almost always results in an immediate connection. I end up doing that power reset about once every other week.

I considered that, but always wondered if I'd have to reconfigure the network adapter each time.

Do you have to open it up, or do you merely cut power using the fuse?

Hardwired is FAR cheaper and if you think a better option, then I'll seriously consider that instead.

THanks for the feedback, it was exactly what I was looking for.

Had I known what I know now when I was building my pool - I would have run a hard line out to the pool equipment. The Jandy app is slow and laggy. I'd much quicker if you dont use the "web" interface - but stay on their 1985-looking screen. Ive added a mesh router and put one of the nodes on my patio - 30 feet from the Jandy and it did not help much. One thing you should try is to switch the channel your WAP broadcasts on. My system got better when I played around with the channels, methinks that someone closeby was knocking me off with the same channel. Since ive done that ... it has been tolerable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I rarely have connections issues like that but my iAqualink WiFi antenna is very close to my home WiFi antenna. Not more than 20 feet apart. If it had the connection issues you describe, I would run a hard CAT5 wire and hardwire it instead of WiFi. It supports both.
PG, I've been planning to do this test for at least a year, and your post finally prodded it higher on my to-do list. (y)
The CAT5 is probably running about 25 feet from equipment shed to the Switch in the garage attic.

First impression:
* Initial connection to the Jandy server is still not quick, though probably slightly faster than wifi connection (never put a timer on it, so this is just subjective.)
* Navigating through commands in iAqualink is noticeably faster when wired, i.e. more responsive.
* Haven't seen the constant reconnect message as I navigate through various commands.
* After minimizing the browser window and then re-opening, the usual reconnect message is absent, along with the corresponding connection delay. In other words, the initial connection is still good!

So far, wired looks like a big win except for the initial Jandy server connection. Biggest obstacle to making it permanent is creating an underground wire feed.

Alternatively, I also have a project on my to-do list to build the Raspberry Pi controller from GitHub. I really like the idea of becoming independent of the Jandy servers.

Reactions: PoolGate
PG, I've been planning to do this test for at least a year, and your post finally prodded it higher on my to-do list. (y)
The CAT5 is probably running about 25 feet from equipment shed to the Switch in the garage attic.

First impression:
* Initial connection to the Jandy server is still not quick, though probably slightly faster than wifi connection (never put a timer on it, so this is just subjective.)
* Navigating through commands in iAqualink is noticeably faster when wired, i.e. more responsive.
* Haven't seen the constant reconnect message as I navigate through various commands.
* After minimizing the browser window and then re-opening, the usual reconnect message is absent, along with the corresponding connection delay. In other words, the initial connection is still good!

So far, wired looks like a big win except for the initial Jandy server connection. Biggest obstacle to making it permanent is creating an underground wire feed.

Alternatively, I also have a project on my to-do list to build the Raspberry Pi controller from GitHub. I really like the idea of becoming independent of the Jandy servers.
I wonder how a power line adapter would work? Easier than running a hard line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.