Jandy WaterColor Lights Only Partially Working

SuperDupe

Jan 15, 2023
Loma Linda, CA
Hello All,

Hoping someone might be able to help me with my issue. I've read through the forums and searched the internet but have not found anyone with the exact same problem.

I have a 25,000 gallon in ground pool with attached spa. I have the iAqualink 2.0 RS8 controller, with two Jandy WaterColor LEDs in the pool and one in the spa.

Here is my issue:

Only some of the light colors are working in the pool. Certain light colors will not come on, but will be substituted with a different color. For example, I pick Alpine White, and I get Caribbean Blue. If I pick Caribbean Blue, that works just fine. If I pick one of the multi-color options like Disco Tech, it will run but without a couple of the colors. It appears like anything with a white or red hue will not work, i.e. Magenta, Violet or Alpine White. It should be noted, when I do pick one of the scenes, instead of changing seemslessly from one color to the next, it will go dark where the white or reddish colors should be. Like that part of the light isn't working.

I figured it must be a problem with the light itself, but both pool lights are in sync and experiencing the same issue together. So if one light was going out, why wouldn't the other one work? This has me questioning if it could be a problem at the controller. However, the spa light will cycle through all the options... The issue with the spa light is it seems to not be in sync with the pool lights. Again, making me think it has something to do with the controller. If I pick say Magenta, the spa light will go to Magenta, but the pool lights will both go to Cobalt Blue. Sometimes, if I pick an option for the spa light, it will go to something other than what I select, although all the colors seem to be working.

If one of the pool lights is the culprint, would it screw up the other lights as they try to match it? Or is it something in the controller?

Sounds like one of the LED colors is out. And there is no controller per se. It's just an on/off switch. You could control them with a simple light switch if you wanted.

Sounds like one of the LED colors is out. And there is no controller per se. It's just an on/off switch. You could control them with a simple light switch if you wanted.
Thanks for the reply! :) So if one is going out or broken, it affects the other one? And that also could be affecting the spa light? Understanding the controller just provides power to the lights, but does something that keeps them in snyc, so one bad light can affect the group?

Thanks for the reply! :) So if one is going out or broken, it affects the other one? And that also could be affecting the spa light? Understanding the controller just provides power to the lights, but does something that keeps them in snyc, so one bad light can affect the group?

The 2 pool lights are on the same circuit. Does that same circuit also turn on the spa light? Or do you have a separate circuit for that? If it is the same button within your Aqualink that turns all 3 lights on, then you need to synchronize the lights. Instructions are in the below manual, I believe.

Since both lights were most likely installed together, it is possible they both went out at the same time with the same defect. The only way to know for sure would be to disconnect 1 (or more) of the lights and try troubleshooting by working on one light at a time. You can do that either from the Aqualink circuit box or the light junction box (shown below). Yadda yadda yadda electric yadda yadda careful.......

1673810474266.png

Attachments

• 1673810502891.png
    1673810502891.png
    304.8 KB · Views: 0
The Spa light is on a separate circuit as far as i know... It can be turned on/off by itself. But when you have both the pool lights on and the spa light on one of the patterns like disco tech or USA, all the lights change in unison... So i assume there has to be a way the controller board is syncing them up... Maybe its just the on/off timing is close enough for it to appear they are synced but in reality, the lights are operating independently...

The two pool lights are on the same circuit and are behaving the exact same way at the same time... So if it is in the lights, then the exact same thing failed on both of them... very weird... I watched them pretty closely today and if I try to pick a red or yellow color that isn't working, it will put the lights on a different color like one of the blues... But if I run one of the patterns, you can clearly see both lights go dark when it is supposed to cycle through the reds and yellows...

When we get past all the rain, I'll try to troubleshoot at the box... If I have to replace the lights, do I have to replace the cable also? Or can the lights be attached to the old cable? The stuff I have googled so far, makes me think I have to pull the new cable through.... :(

Separate control means separate circuit. The spa is independent of the pool. I am not sure how they end up totally in sync with each other though. The instruction does have a blurb to this effect, though.

To synchronize colors on multiple Jandy Pro Series WaterColors RGBW LED Light systems wired to separate switches, perform the above actions on all of their switches simultaneously. All Jandy Pro Series WaterColors RGBW LED Lights will synchronize automatically if activated by the same switch. No other accessories are required.

I believe you can use the same cable. You'd have to open up the light and see if it still serviceable. If not though, you can use the old cable to pull the new cable through. Pulling cable can be really tough though I think I'd try to use the old one first. Jandy specifies to pull new cable.

Are you aware of what these lights cost? They are close to $1000 each. There are alternatives to Jandy lights. You'd have to research the compatibility with Aqualink.

Are yours 12 volt or 120 volt? The 12 volt uses a transformer. I am thinking maybe if they are the 12 volt version and both use the same transformer that the problem might lie in the transformer putting out the wrong voltage making both lights malfunction the same way. Worth a check before committing to new lights.

Are yours 12 volt or 120 volt? The 12 volt uses a transformer. I am thinking maybe if they are the 12 volt version and both use the same transformer that the problem might lie in the transformer putting out the wrong voltage making both lights malfunction the same way. Worth a check before committing to new lights.
Thank you for this suggestion! Yes, I'm pretty sure they are 12v. All the rain storms should be done today so I'll check that out this week ! Thanks again for the responses...

If I may ask one more question. Yes, I've looked at some other possibilities. Do you have any recommendations for other light manufacturers? I realize I will probably have to switch them all out if I go that route...

Thank you for this suggestion! Yes, I'm pretty sure they are 12v. All the rain storms should be done today so I'll check that out this week ! Thanks again for the responses...

If I may ask one more question. Yes, I've looked at some other possibilities. Do you have any recommendations for other light manufacturers? I realize I will probably have to switch them all out if I go that route...

I've never actually researched anything else. But here is what Aqualink supports.

1673880113012.png

Reactions: SuperDupe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.