Jandy valve locations / inground pool pump

Jun 12, 2012
2 questions I am grappling with while planning the install of my 21'x54" round AGP.

1. The site I am ordering all my equipment from, only sells 2-speed above ground pumps (Hayward and Carvin) in 1.5hp, and 115V. I noticed they have inground pumps in 2-speed, 1 hp, and 230V. The inground are twice the price of the above ground. Would it be worth the extra cost to go down to a 0.5/1.0 230V pump, or will the above ground 0.75/1.5 115V pump be near as good, for half the price. I am hard-wiring with a 6' liquid-tight whip, so I would like to go 230V, but not sure if it is worth it for 2x the money. Also not sure if there is any extra maintenance with inground compared to above ground pumps.

2. Wondering where to put the Jandy valves. I see almost ALL are located at the equipment pad, but I wonder if it doesn't make more sense to put them at the skimmer/return jet, so that when you shut them off, there is no water pressure left in the lines? My equipment will be 10 feet from the pool edge, so I don't see any reason to put one on each end, but wondering which way makes the most sense (see picture). I think I have the unions correct - incoming to pump, outgoing from pump, incoming to filter, outgoing from filter, in and out of salt cell, and at the skimmer and return jet. By the way, my plumbing will be ON ground, not under, if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Valve-locations.jpg
    Valve-locations.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 12
1. There is no need for an in-ground pump on an AG pool, unless the pump will be above the water level. The IG pumps are self-priming. So, I would just stick with the AG pumps ... it is possible that the 1.5HP AG pump is still less flow and power that a 1.0HP IG pump. HP is only part of the story.

2. I would put the valves by the pump, just so that it is obvious their position when you turn the pump on/off or opening up the pump lid. Some members will take the lid off and then open the suction valve some so that the water will flush out the pump. Don't want to turn on the pump with one of the valve still closed.

Reactions: nick_wa
2. I would put the valves by the pump, just so that it is obvious their position when you turn the pump on/off or opening up the pump lid Some members will take the lid off and then open the suction valve some so that the water will flush out the pump. Don't want to turn on the pump with one of the valve still closed.

OK, so that would be after the water is below the skimmer level or if a skimmer plug is installed (I assume these exist if you need to service equipment without a shutoff valve installed)?

No. If they are cleaning out the debris in the pump basket. They will close the valves, take the pump lid off, likely remove the basket, and then partially open the suction valve so that water starts to flow out the top of the pump to help clean it out. Then close the valve and put basket back in and the lid back on.

Reactions: nick_wa
No. If they are cleaning out the debris in the pump basket. They will close the valves, take the pump lid off, likely remove the basket, and then partially open the suction valve so that water starts to flow out the top of the pump to help clean it out. Then close the valve and put basket back in and the lid back on.

Ah, gotcha.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.