Jandy Pump replacement

samNJ

May 13, 2015
Livingston, NJ
Hi All, new pool owner here. Over the last few days, twice my pool pump motor has overheated and stopped, which I am guessing is because of some sort of overheat protection mechanism. Once I let it cool down for a while it seems to restart. I am not sure what the issue is but looks like something is failing and I will need to address it in the very near future. My pump model is Jandy Stealth Pump, High Head, Up Rated, 2.0 HP, 230v (MODEL: SHPM2.0).

One option will be to replace the motor only. Wondering if this is something recommended and I can do it myself? In case I have to replace the entire pump, my understanding from reading lot of forum threads is to replace it with a two speed or variable speed pump to save energy. As I will be doing it myself, it will be advantageous if the replacement pump has a with very similar physical profile to keep the re-plumbing down to a minimum.

I started looking online for my options and now I am thoroughly confused. I see Jandy current SHPM2.0-2 (2 speed) as the closest option but not sure what other options (manufacturers / variable speed) are out there to give me best bang for my bucks. Therefore, wondering if you can point me to 2-3 options that will be well suited for my pool pump replacement.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You can certainly replace just the motor ... in fact you can replace it with the 2-speed version equivalent and then not have to do any plumbing.

You just need to find a motor with the same chassis design and the same total HP on high speed [HP * SF (service factor)].

When you replace a motor, you also must replace the shaft seal. Would not hurt to replace all the seals in a "go-kit"

Note, if you do decide to replace the entire pump, you likely can get by with a smaller 1HP pump, unless you have high flow needs like a spa or waterfeatures.

Jason, thanks for the quick reply. My current motor SF is 1.1 thus giving it Total HP of 2.2. So if I only get the motor for Jandy current two speed model (SHPM2.0-2), it should work, correct? Does the shaft seal or "go-kit" comes with the motor or do I have to buy it separate? Besides Jandy, are there any other motors (manufacturers /models) that will work?

How do I know what my current flow is and if a 1 HP pump will be sufficient for my needs? Regarding size, my guess estimate for my pool is 30,000 gal (irregular shape 20 x40) with a attached spa.

Thanks again!

The seals would be a seperate item to buy.

I have not personally checked if the Jandy motor you mention is correct.
You can use any motor manufacurer that has the same frame type. Like Century.
You could call INYO pools, they are pretty good at helping match up motors. They have a line of VS motors with integrated timers that they may suggest and I think a few members are using.

If the pump you have runs the spa jets, then I would not suggest you go smaller on the pump. But a 2-speed would be greatly beneficial so you can run on low when not using the spa.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.