North Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I have a 14 year old pool with early model Jandy JLJ1001 Laminar jets and a Fiberstars 6004 light source... they both had stopped working for some period of time, but I have spent this summer DIYing the needed repairs and are both working again... however, the light quality coming thru the laminars is extremely poor, always had been previously... I had actually bought a replacement Fiberstars unit a few years back, but had not installed it till I got the Laminar jets repaired... I have verified it is installed correctly , it powers up and lights up, its just the light transference to the laminars is poor... I have re-sliced the ends of the fiberoptic cable on both ends with a hot knife to insure its clean, but still just not getting much light in the stream from the laminar... I can see the light brightly when I look into the laminar from above, its just not making it into the water stream...lastly, in reading thru the installation instructions for the Jandy laminar jets (JLJ1001), it says in black and white DO NOT USE the Fiberstars 6004 model due to diminished light quality (it does recommend models 409 and 2004)! Why would my PB use something that the manufacturer says not to use? That's 14 years ago now, but just looking for any advice on how to make these work any better without having to rip and replace everything...

Welcome to TFP :)

Probably because they were cheap and they had no idea they were not supposed to be used... Considering its almost the same as the previous setup about the only thing you could do would be to upgrade to one of the other recommended ones... or just not use the light part.... Can you buy just the parts of the 409 or 2004 and use them or would it completely replace what you have now?

Looks like the 2004 is twice the wattage of the 6004 (125 vs 250)... none of them are still manufactured, its all moved to LED lighting, but to use LED requires replacing the jets too, at least that's my assessment...

Does anyone know if the lids from the Jandy JLLED laminar jets will fit onto the older JLJ1001 jet canister? They look almost the same...The newer lids have the light scratcher on them which helps with the light transference into the water stream... those aren't too expensive if they'll fit ...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.