Hoover, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Some of you may remember my saga last fall where my pool flooded after we got 12 inches of rain in just a few hours.

I ended up just scooping out all the large debris, dumping a few gallons of bleach in, and shutting everything down for the winter.

Understandably, things were a bit pond-like when spring came around. Organic growth wasn’t off the charts, but there was a lot of cleaning and filtering to be done, and some algae to contend with. Well, I’ve spent the past month in a SLAM. When I walk into Walmart now, they ask me if I’m back for more bleach. It’s getting expensive.

And I don’t think it’s necessary at this point. For well over a week now, I’ve passed OCLT, and with a single exception due to (I think) a dead squirrel in the pool, my CC has been <=0.5 (and usually 0). I see no indicators of microbial growth. But my water is still cloudy. And I think it is due to suspended fines. Every time I vacuum, the water gets murky. I backwash, and then after a day or two, it looks clearer than it did before I vacuumed. Bigger sediment falls back to the floor, but there’s less of it each time. My CC values don’t jump when the murkiness happens after vacuuming and brushing. My FC values are always where I expect them to be.

I’m ready to stop dumping bleach into the pool. I’m ready to start pouring in the other solids that were depleted by draining all the rain water this year, like my calcium and my salt. I’m ready to get my CYA where it is supposed to be. My SWGC is sitting begging to be used. My new Dolphin is supposed to get here next week, and I’m going to put it to work.

So…I feel fairly confident that I can drop FC to normal level and begin balancing my chemistry, continuing to clean and filter as I go. As long as I monitor for microbial growth, does this sound like a logical plan?

Also, while I don’t necessarily want to use a clarifier, I’m wondering if I’m going to reach the point where I’ll need one. That was mentioned (in the original post) as something I might need to resort to in the end.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    708.1 KB · Views: 118
Did you get the ultra fine cartridge for your Dolphin? It might help with the removal of the sediment you have down there.

Can you post water test results from your own good kit.
Can you not see my PM log link? I thought I had it enabled.

FC 10
CC 0
PH 7.7 (was at 7.2 at start of SLAM)
CYA <30 (was at 30 to start the SLAM, but water exchange due to recent rain has reduced that…adding a couple of pounds today)
TA 70
CH 50 (you can see why I’m eager to get started with that)
SALT 1500

Nope, can't see it. In PM, click the settings gear, scroll all the way down, and enable "Link from TFP.com user profile". Then click the check mark and we should be able to see your logs.
Yeah, I used to have that option. I don’t see it now.

Attachments

• D1D9971B-5128-4700-9618-E2970E5CBAD7.png
    D1D9971B-5128-4700-9618-E2970E5CBAD7.png
    406.9 KB · Views: 7
No, it sure wasn’t. Weird. I think maybe it changed back when I had some issues with my subscription syncing with the app. Anyway, I did a backup out of the old account, but when I try to import it to my linked account, the app crashes. Darn.

Never mind, figured out the issue. Duplicate pool names when I was trying to import. Alright…so, back to my original question…

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have always had this exact same issue. Exact. I think it’s sediment from dead algae and leaves. It turns into a fine sandlike material. It clouds up when I vacuum with the hose vacuum and goes to clear after a day. In my case, I got a robot vacuum with a finer filter and this cleared it much faster than the hose vacuum. My current robot is defunct right now (don’t ask) but again the robot did clear it much faster. It does go away with persistent vacuuming but it will take a while.

I have always had this exact same issue. Exact. I think it’s sediment from dead algae and leaves. It turns into a fine sandlike material. It clouds up when I vacuum with the hose vacuum and goes to clear after a day. In my case, I got a robot vacuum with a finer filter and this cleared it much faster than the hose vacuum. My current robot is defunct right now (don’t ask) but again the robot did clear it much faster. It does go away with persistent vacuuming but it will take a while.
Yeah my Tiger Shark has basically gone kaput, otherwise I’d have it in there right now. Dolphin should be here next week so I’m hoping that makes the difference.

@duraleigh do you think I’d be good to drop FC to normal parameters, start balancing the rest of my chemistry, and just keep cleaning while keeping an eye on CC and FC loss?

I mean, the water even has a little sparkle to it tonight.

Attachments

• 574E8FD9-0D8F-4145-91F6-1717E6792262.jpeg
    574E8FD9-0D8F-4145-91F6-1717E6792262.jpeg
    761.9 KB · Views: 66
@duraleigh do you think I’d be good to drop FC to normal parameters, start balancing the rest of my chemistry, and just keep cleaning while keeping an eye on CC and FC loss?
Perhaps but I haven't followed the thread long enough to have an accurate opinion Can you post ALL current test results from your own god kit? Post a current pic or tell us what your water looks like. Are you currently at SLAM value? How long have you been there?

Perhaps but I haven't followed the thread long enough to have an accurate opinion Can you post ALL current test results from your own god kit? Post a current pic or tell us what your water looks like. Are you currently at SLAM value? How long have you been there?
Right here:
FC 10
CC 0
PH 7.7 (was at 7.2 at start of SLAM)
CYA <30 (was at 30 to start the SLAM, but water exchange due to recent rain has reduced that…adding a couple of pounds today)
TA 70
CH 50 (you can see why I’m eager to get started with that)
SALT 1500
At SLAM and been there for a month, save for the dips in between adding bleach, of course.

I can see the bottom; if you put a sentence at the deep end with 1 inch tall letters, I could read it. There’s just a bit of a haze. Picture in my second to last post.

That pic makes it look as if there is debris in the bottom of the pool.....or is it a stain?
It is debris. Mostly loam that got washed in during the flood. Every time I vacuum, the amount covering the bottom gets less and less. At the beginning of the process the entire bottom was covered in about 1/4” - 1/2” of it. When I vacuum to waste, I get a good bit up, but a lot of it also becomes suspended, totally clouding the water. Some gets caught by the filter, some drops back to the bottom. At no point in the past week has my CC value or FC been disturbed after kicking up all the sediment either via vacuum or brushing. I’ve thought about moving my returns to push more of that sediment up closer to the surface where the skimmer and drain can grab it.

Before u go the clarifier route (not recommended).
Are u vacuuming to waste? If not u should- go very, very slow. You may need to do this more than once. Turn off the pump & Let the pool settle overnight then vac to waste 1st thing.
That’s alot of debris to put into the filter. Its also alot of stuff competing for fc. You’re fighting the sun ☀️ w/ such a low cya as well as the debris & any remaining algae. This will consume more fc than average.
Next - you may need a deep clean of your sand filter as @IceShadow suggested. Especially since it’s been put through its paces.
After that is addressed u can try adding de to the filter to help w/ the fine stuff.
I suggest u keep the fc at slam level until u have crystal clear water w/ no accumulating debris.

Also covering all bases here - have u checked & scrubbed all the nooks & crannies? Weir doors & their foam, skimmer throats, light niches, drain covers etc.

Have you done a deep clean of the sand in your filter? I wonder if it’s channeling and letting the sediment back into the pool.
Had the same thought and did that first thing this morning!
Are u vacuuming to waste? If not u should- go very, very slow. You may need to do this more than once. Turn off the pump & Let the pool settle overnight then vac to waste 1st thing.
Yes, about 3-4 times per week.
have u checked & scrubbed all the nooks & crannies?
Yes, although never thought about the foam of the weir.

I’ve considered adding DE, and that’s certainly a step I’ll take before I ever add clarifier. I have zero desire to add clarifier, but several people in the original thread (from when the pool flooded) said I may have no choice. Mud came gushing down the mountain and right into my pool. It brought a lot of very fine sediment with it.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.