I've Got Low TA

Sep 11, 2014
Winter Springs, FL
Hello,

This summer I have been struggling to get the Total Alkalinity level up in my pool. We have been receiving a lot of rain here, and so I've had to drain quite a bit of water over the course of the summer. The Baking Soda bill is getting expensive, so on my last trip to the pool store (Pinch-a-Penny) to refill the Chlorine, I asked if there was a cheaper way to get the Total Alkalinity level up. They respond by saying that the numbers I was giving them aren't possible and to bring in a water sample. I'm concerned that if I do that, I'll walk out with hundreds of dollars worth of chemicals I've never needed in the past.

Here are my latest readings (I use TFTest Kits for testing)

Chlorine - 12.5 (I had been shocking the pool last week because when I came home from my last trip, I had a bit of algae growing)

pH - 7.2 (I had just added some acid. This is on the low end of where I keep it. Typical is 7.4-7.5)

Calcium Hardness - 400 (This has always been right around 400 for years. Even through adding/draining water, this seems to be consistent)

Total Alkalinity - 40 (Pool Math says my target should be 80. I've been having difficulty raising this level. I've added baking soda, but have also had to drain a lot of water over the summer)

CYA - 30-40 (I try to keep this around 40, but right now it is a bit low. I've been using a couple chlorine tabs to try to raise this a little)

Borates - 30+ (I only have a test trip to test this, and I have difficulty judging. Not sure if there is a more accurate way to test for this...)

Temperature - 85

Given these levels, what should I do to raise TA? Should I bring the water sample to the store?

Thanks
-M

Keep doing what you apparently have done before.

Use PoolMath (at the top of the page) to calculate a dosage of baking soda. Your TA will come up and everything else will stay mostly unchanged.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.