Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Equipment as listed in signature line.

Based on the salt readings on my monitor, last month I had to, or thought I had to, add an unusual amount of salt. But I chalked it up to the unusual number of heavy rains we were experiencing.

Now, we’re in a hot, dry period and I’m still getting a “Low Salt’ reading on my monitor. So I took some salt readings, two methods, one using test strips, the other the Taylor test drops.

Monitor is reporting 2,300 ppm. My test readings indicate >6,000 ppm.

Side note: this is preventing the system from creating chlorine.

Could it be the SWG, or a fault on the board? Or just what…?

Suggested next steps?

Thanks all

Last edited:
Yes.
And I use the magnetic stirrer.

Also, when I use the test strip, about 1" of water as it says in the instructions.

I do not have experience with this, but I have read that when the SWG cell get's dirty, your reading can be drastically inaccurate.

I would try performing an acid wash of the SWG and see if that get's your monitor closer to what your Taylor K-1766

Mix one (1) quart of muriatic acid with one (1) gallon of tap water in a plastic bucket.

If rigorous foaming action does not begin, the blades do not need to be cleaned (STOP THE CLEANING
PROCESS - go on to step “e). Otherwise, allow the blades to remain immersed in the
solution until the foaming has stopped. However, do not leave acid in the IECG for more
than thirty (30) minutes. Excessive acid washing will damage the blades.

e. Remove the IECG from the bucket and place in an empty five (5) gallon bucket. Rinse the inside and
outside of the IECG thoroughly with clean tap water and inspect. If deposits are still visible, repeat
the acid cleaning process.

For reference:

lighter

Truns out the SWG was dead.
Installed new one yesterday (6/24). Now I just need to get the salt PPMs back down to a reasonable level, and starting getting rid of all the green water.

Fun stuff uh? :)

Reactions: drsipe and mas985
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.