Issue with Jandy freeze protect coming on intermittently

Cyclist7531

Bronze Supporter
Jun 27, 2019
Central Valley California
Have a little ove one year old pool with jandy aqualink equipment. I’m having an issue with the freeze protection process. The pumps will come on even when the air temp is above the temperature set for freeze protection. For instance, this morning the air temp on the jandy hand held device was showing 35 degrees. Freeze protection is set for 37 however my weather station was showing a temp of 41. Pumps came on. Then the air temp jumped to 39 and the equipment shut off. A short time later the air temp was still showing 39 yet my pumps kicked on again. It seems like maybe the air temp sensor is a bit wonky but puzzled why the pumps came on even when the air temp was showing above the temp set for freeze protection?

I can only speak about Pentair freeze protection, but perhaps this will be a hint to look for in your system. Freeze protection for my system is provided by both the automation controller and the pump. The automation's freeze protection is designed to protect the plumbing, and relies on an ambient air temp sensor. The freeze protection built-in to my pump is designed solely to protect the pump, and its electronics, and relies on an internal temp sensor located near the motor. I cannot override the pump's freeze mode with the automation controls, and the pump's freeze protection overrides the automation's settings. In other words, regardless of what my automation is set for, the pump will run if its internal sensor says "Brrrr!"

Maybe something similar is happening with your gear...

Thanks. I’m not sure the jandy has that type of freeze protection. My issue may not be an issue at all as it looks like the pumps freeze protect will continue to run for a set time period even after the air temp registers above the set freeze protect temp. Since we rarely get below freezing for an extended period I lowered the freeze protect temp to 34 which is as low as it can go and will monitor it

Reactions: Dirk
We have a near non-existent frost line here in the Central Valley (maybe 6"). We don't have to bury are pipes deep just to get below it. And our freezing temps last for just a few hours in the wee morning hours. I'm not sure I've ever seen a day here that stayed at freezing temps past late morning. So freeze protection is not a huge issue where we are. That's not to say it couldn't get bad if the conditions were just so, so I'm not suggesting you defeat the protection, just that you don't have to fret about it much...

Revisiting this since we are now getting colder weather and the freeze protection keeps coming on even when the actual outside temp is well above the 34 degrees I have the FP temp set to. Since I believe it's impossible to turn off the the FP in the iAqualink it keeps coming on. The issue is the air temp sensor seems to wildly fluctuate in temp. I was watching it on the PDA and it would swing from say 33 to 40 then back to 34, etc. All the while the actual air temp was around 41 or even higher. So, I'm going to try and first replace the air temp sensor with a new one to see if that stabilizes the temp and also move the temp sensor away from the control panel box. If that fails I may just go ahead and find a way to insulate the sensor. Otherwise, not sure what else to do. I'm tire of the pump and waterfalls coming on in the middle of the night when the temp is not even close to freezing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.