Is this yellow/ mustard algae??

Nov 25, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Need the help of the pros to identify this yellow "thing" on the walls and by the steps. At first I thought it was dust as I would brush it and it went away. Now I have realized it must be something else.

Thanks.

5a15a13c7c29bd464a4de664e35519bd.jpg

b1be62c37158641addeac285ca485ac1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it brushes up, it's probably mustard algae.

If it won't brush away, it's probably iron.

Try putting vitamin C on a spot.

Also, do you know the original color of the plaster?

If the plaster was originally white, I think that you're getting copper stains.

If it brushes up, it's probably mustard algae.

If it won't brush away, it's probably iron.

Try putting vitamin C on a spot.

Also, do you know the original color of the plaster?

If the plaster was originally white, I think that you're getting copper stains.

Yes it brushes away with ease but reappears later.

It's diamond brite, white with a little color in there.

It's probably mustard algae. You have to SLAM.

I think that you might have copper in the water if the color of the plaster is not the original color. The turquoise and black/gray are characteristic of copper.

Doing a SLAM with copper is likely to cause black/gray staining.

Kind of a bad situation.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Instead of a SLAM, you can try adding a quart of poly 60 algaecide and elevate the fc to 15% of CYA for a week.

If there is copper in the water, the staining will get worse over time.

Has copper algaecide been added?

It's probably mustard algae. You have to SLAM.

I think that you might have copper in the water if the color of the plaster is not the original color. The turquoise and black/gray are characteristic of copper.

Doing a SLAM with copper is likely to cause black/gray staining.

Kind of a bad situation.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Instead of a SLAM, you can try adding a quart of poly 60 algaecide and elevate the fc to 15% of CYA for a week.

If there is copper in the water, the staining will get worse over time.

Has copper algaecide been added?

Can I test for copper at home? No I've never added algaecide in my 3 years of ownership.

Copper tests are expensive and kind of a one time thing so we generally recommend having the pool store do the test. But, if you have not added copper to the pool then it is unlikely there is any copper present. Common ways copper gets into the pool is from algaecides containing copper, copper ion systems, mineral sanitizer systems, some products labeled "blue" contain copper.

Sounds like you are safe on the copper.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Copper tests are expensive and kind of a one time thing so we generally recommend having the pool store do the test. But, if you have not added copper to the pool then it is unlikely there is any copper present. Common ways copper gets into the pool is from algaecides containing copper, copper ion systems, mineral sanitizer systems, some products labeled "blue" contain copper.

I haven't used any of those.

If the plaster color is the same as original, it might not be copper. I just wanted to mention it because the color is close to copper staining color and a SLAM could create black/gray stains if it was copper.

Do you have a heater or use an ionizer?

If no source of copper and plaster is original color, you're probably good to go on a SLAM.

Any algae is a result of insufficient chlorine. Just maintain correct fc for your CYA after the SLAM to prevent further occurrences.

If no source of copper and plaster is original color, you're probably good to go on a SLAM.

Any algae is a result of insufficient chlorine. Just maintain correct fc for your CYA after the SLAM to prevent further occurrences.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.