Is this normal? (walls of oval pool not straight)

Jun 22, 2010
The installation of our 18x40 oval agp with deep end was just completed and filled with water yesterday. Although the support posts were level and in a straight line before, now they are not. Is this to be expected with an agp of this size, or does this represent a poor installation job? I have added a picture, but it actually looks more pronounced in person than it does in the picture. The last 2 posts on the straight side don't align with the ones before, or with the post that starts the oval on the other side of them. The picture is taken looking from the shallow end toward the deep end.

Also, the liner is not straight along the straight edge of the pool. It arcs back between each of the support posts. I can see where the pressure and weight of the water could cause this, but I was not expecting it. Is that a normal feature of an above ground oval?

Attachments

• pool wall.jpg
    pool wall.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 703
Woody, the pool is totally above ground. It is on a slope, but we dug the hill out to level ground. The deck will be on the side of the pool that is not pictured and will be pretty much at ground level, but there is no dirt touching the sides of the pool.

Dave, is that going to compromise the integrity of the pool? Do I need to be taking issue with the installer, or is this just a fact of life with an agp?

I'll see your curvy wall and raise you an unlevel one. I can thank the previous home owner for this. Some people should not do ANY DIY. :hammer: And to top it off, the liner is so wrinkled, it collects dirt and stuff. Will be glad when the liner fails and I can re-set the pool.

Attachments

• DSC00300.JPG
    DSC00300.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 651
  • DSC00299.JPG
    DSC00299.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 640
If that's the side that was dug out on the slope, I agree with Bama. You got sinkage, and it is NOT to be expected on a good install. Mine is dug down 2 ft. most of the way around and straight as an arrow. Did they place concrete blocks
under the buttresses on that side?

The side that is pictured is not the side that was dug out, at least not as much. It starts at pretty much the original ground level on that side and the hill went up toward the side that is not pictured so it is more dug out.

There are concrete blocks under the buttresses closest to the "front" of the picture, which is the shallow end. The last 3 down the straight side actually have poured concrete under them because the straps were removed from the deep end and the installation instructions specified doing that for extra support.

I guess you are saying that the weight of the water has pushed the top of the non-concreted backwards?

Any opinions on the arc shape between each of the support posts? Is that just the way an above ground oval looks normally?

You could at least tell ME what the way to fix it is, so I can make sure what he decides to do makes sense! LOL

P.S. Loving this forum. Put shock in the pool this morning, but looking forward to BBB. A bucket of chlorine tablets came with the pool, but I am thinking I should save those for times when we are out of town and go straight into BBB once the shock is complete!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We used some well water, some water from our lake, and some water that we had brought in when we realized how long it was going to take to pump enough water out of the lake! The water is green and the chlorine test showed zero so I thought that meant I needed to shock.

OK, the installer came back today and he wants to completely drain the pool to fix all the problems. (The walls are out WAY more than you can tell from the photo I posted.) My question now is about the liner. He insists that it will not be a problem to put back the liner that we have now, even though it has already been filled. It will have had water in it for about a week when he plans to come back. From reading this forum I expressed concern that the liner will need to be replaced, but he says it has not been in long enough to be a problem. We have a deep end in the pool, but the liner is a beaded liner that is cut to fit, as opposed to being the balloon type that really stretches alot.

I need some expert opinions on whether the liner will be OK. A replacement liner plus the water that he is going to have to pay for to refill the pool will be almost as much as we owe him for the installation, so I know he does not want to replace the liner since there is no option on the water. What do you think?

For your full viewing pleasure, I have attached a better picture. The 2 posts that are "in" are the ones that are correct. The one closest to the camera is not only out but high.

Attachments

• 100_6102 lowres.jpg
    100_6102 lowres.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 499
yes we have a kayak pool (16 x 32 x 4) above ground & we dug & set it up & everything look good & even then we hauled in water ON the last load we were filling it & the left sidewall pushed the decking up about 5-6 inches. Did not ruin liner or wall But we had to jack up pool on support to hold it so it would not break and then had to jack sidewall steel support open & put in longer length 2 x 4 inside steel beaces It did the job But Does anyone know what the correct length of the support board under the decking is ???? Before it happens again. It lowered it but the other side looks like it could do the same & we have no manual to go by...Thanks Margie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.