Is this normal for 2 week old concrete coping?

Jul 11, 2016
Boise/ID
Hi everyone - First, great community here. I haven't chimed in a lot but that's mainly because I search first to see if my specific question has been answered before I post. I wanted to see if this is normal and if so, should it be fixed. I hate even asking you guys this but my pool builder isn't that forthcoming. He seems to conveniently be on top of things just after I ask him a question about whatever topic it may be. Ok, my concrete deck and coping was poured about two weeks ago. There's no water in the pool because of a delay in equipment that is causing a delay of when the plaster will be poured into the pool. During my daily walk around the pool, I noticed chips on the edges of the coping where a natural line is put for the coping. Is this horrible work, normal, or somewhere in between? Here are some pictures. I included a few decent areas for comparison. Thanks for your comments.

Attachments

• IMG_0891(1).jpg
    IMG_0891(1).jpg
    539 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0890(1).jpg
    IMG_0890(1).jpg
    606.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0892(1).jpg
    IMG_0892(1).jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0894(1).jpg
    IMG_0894(1).jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0893(1).jpg
    IMG_0893(1).jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 75
It looks like normal sawcuts. Most likely, the saw blade caught a rock and knocked it loose. They probably used a segmented blade, which is more likely to knock loose rock aggregate. A continuous blade is better at cutting through rock aggregate.

In any case, it looks ok. They can smooth it out some with grout that matches the color.

Reactions: perryhill2000
It looks like normal sawcuts. Most likely, the saw blade caught a rock and knocked it loose. They probably used a segmented blade, which is more likely to knock loose rock aggregate. A continuous blade is better at cutting through rock aggregate.

In any case, it looks ok. They can smooth it out some with grout that matches the color.

Thanks JamesW!

How long after the concrete pour did they wait to make the saw cuts? That could be a result of not waiting long enough for the concrete to cure before the cuts were made. That happened with our pool deck, we would not accept it. The PB took full responsibility and 'cool deck' coated the deck at no cost.

Last edited:
How long after the concrete pour did they wait to make the saw cuts? That could be a result of not waiting long enough for the concrete to cure before the cuts were made. That happened with our pool deck, we would not accept it. The PB took full responsibility and 'cool deck' coated the deck at their cost.

One of the guys from the crew came back the very next day after the pour and cut those slits. I was a little surprised because I had grown accustomed to not seeing anyone the very next day after a big job like spraying the gunite shell or in this case, pouring the concrete decking/coping.

That is exactly what happened with our deck. Came back the next day and cut the grooves in the new deck and coping. As an aside, they also cut matching grooves in an adjacent existing concrete deck with no chipping issue.
I can't believe that anyone would think that that's acceptable. As you're floating in the pool, guess what is going to be at eye level front and center?
One of the guys from the crew came back the very next day after the pour and cut those slits. I was a little surprised because I had grown accustomed to not seeing anyone the very next day after a big job like spraying the gunite shell or in this case, pouring the concrete decking/coping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.