Is this intex pump overkill for my pool?

Slippery

Jul 15, 2018
Portland or
I have an intex 15x18 pool. The pump it came with struggles moving the water through 175-200 feet of 1.5inch pvc pipe then through 5 4x10 solar panels and a slight incline. I currently have a second intex pump that comes with the easy set pools on the return just to get some extra flow. It still doesn't seem like enough.

I bought(haven’t installed yet) the largest intex pump/filter that moves 3000gph: https://www.intexcorp.com/products/...al-clear-sand-filter-pump-110-120v-with-gfci/

Is there any reason why this is a bad idea? Could the water pressure be too much for the panels or pipes? Is there something else I am not considering? For the record my pool has 2 inlet pipes that connect to a T that then goes to the pump

Thanks in advance. This forum is so helpful and friendly. I really appreciate ya'll so much.

Last edited:
A larger pump is never a bad idea. I have a very small pool 4 x 2 x 1 m. and have also replaced with a larger sandfilter pump. The benefit is huge, because you get a lot higher turnover.

I got and installed the pump yesterday and immediately noticed the difference. Also I discovered a lot more leaks in my set up. So far so good. Now I just need the pool to clear up so we can go swimming!

Reactions: Perdk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.