Is Poop a Problem?

jerryk1234

Bronze Supporter
Jan 22, 2018
Hayward, CA
My little girl.... has pooped in the pool. She is 6 years old, special needs. She is not potty trained. She loves the pool and the spa more than anything in the world. She wears a swim diaper, but this particular bowel movement overwhelmed it.

Mommy was Not Happy. She started talking about keeping our girl out of the pool until she's potty trained.
So - how big a problem is poop in the pool? Just fish out the solids and let the chlorine take care of the rest?

I'd keep the chlorine up at the higher end of the CYA/Chlorine chart (continuously) but would not keep her out of the pool. Swim diapers do what they do and it happens. Yes, fish out what you can and allow the chlorine to do its job. Bacteria is the biggest issue and that is neutralized fairly quickly with the proper chlorine levels. Test chlorine/CCs regularly.

Reactions: BadDogPSD
As PoolGate said, I wouldn't keep her out of the pool. When it does happen I'd bump the FC up to SLAM level for a day. And as PG said I'd consider running the FC at the top of the recommended range daily.

I probably would keep her out of the pool whenever anybody but immediate family is swimming.

What they said☝️
also my sister bought this swim diaper thats like neoprene & washable- it keeps things in well - i will try to find the name of it for u.
They also try to time their swimming until after bm has made his visit if possible.

At swimming lessons, they require a disposable swim diaper and a washable over it. It really does seem to keep the poop in with a pool full of babies, not sure you could find one her size but would be worth a shot to keep everyone happy and her being able to swim.

I have an 18 month old who loves to poop in the pool...It's like she waits for it. Swim diaper or not, the poop is in the water, so I don't really think that the fact that it overwhelmed the diaper changes much.

According to the CDC, with chlorine at normal sanitation levels, the pool will be safe to swim in after 30 minutes, no need to shock. Cleaning and Remediation | Healthy Swimming | Healthy Water | CDC

I work in infection prevention in a hospital and can personally confirm that bleach, even at very low concentrations is very effective at killing or deactivating bacteria.

Swim with confidence.

Reactions: IceShadow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.