Is my travertine leaching Calcium after Harvey Rain ??

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

Here are some pictures of the travertine pool wall that I have never seen since built in Jan 2015. But, I have never had 35" of rain in 2.5 days either. Our fire station has a 5" rain gauge that just poured out 5" this am for the 7th time.

Just wandering what this could be? Note, no water came over the top of the wall. Pls let me know if you have any questions? Thank you.

PS - I hope all my fellow residents are all ok - PM me if you need anything - we were dry the whole time.

Attachments

• pool wall travertine1.jpg
    pool wall travertine1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 71
  • pool wall travertine2.jpg
    pool wall travertine2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 74
I'm thinking mineral along the lines of calcium. Here in Austin we had lots of rain and my flagstone wall dripped down some white stuff onto my tiles in a few places. Just took a wet pumice stone to the tile and some of the flagstone mortar and got rid of it.

That's called efflorescence which is salt and minerals in the wall being pushed out by water behind the wall on a crack or hole.

You can try a big of muriatic acid to remove it, but the real solution is to have a barrier between moisture and the wall.

Maddie :flower:

Thanks Maddie.

I did not think there is a fix when it rains almost 3 ft and water penetrates from the back. It will dry out and not happen again.

However, I need to remove it. But, any type of acid will permanently etch travertine stone, so it there another possible solution? Should I wait until the wall and soil dries some? Might be awhile sine a hurricane just dropped 3 ft of rain over this timeframe.

Thanks again, tstex

I wouldn't try anything at this point... the soil is too wet and will remain so for a while. It seems to be originating from your grout, so I wonder if a grout sealer would help?

I can't tell you what to use on travertine since I don't have any. A stiff bristled nylon brush maybe? Find an inconspicuous spot and try a little dilute vinegar or MA and see what happens?

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.